[1.14.4] [SOLVED] Crop .grow() / BlockState update confusion

ojb

I'm new to modding and I figured I'd play around a bit to try and get a handle on the functionality that exists already in the API. I'm implementing a simple TileEntity block that will (~every 20 ticks) apply a bonemeal effect to a crop directly in front of it. I think I have a slight misunderstanding of how BlockStates / Blocks can be updated. To illustrate this problem, I have:

• BlockPos cropPos -- the XYZ position of the crop block (e.g. the seeds/carrot/potato/etc)
  • BlockState cropState -- the block state of that crop [obtained by world.getBlockState(cropPos)]. (Note: debugging shows it to have one property AGE_0_7 which I'm trying to update)
  • CropsBlock crop -- a (verifiably legal/kosher) casting of cropState.getBlock()

Now, inside my TileEntity's tick() function (only on the server, not from a client), I attempt to call crop.grow(), which takes parameters (World, BlockPos, BlockState). Looking inside that API call it seems pretty straightforward: it updates the AGE property towards the maximum age allowed for the particular crop with one (randomized) bonemeal-esque update. It does that by calling something like world.setBlockState(... state.with(updatedAge)...).

Visually, the crop seems to grow just fine as it looks like the crop is growing over a short period of time in game. My debugging output will show that if I pull the BlockState of that position from the world after the grow() call, it has an AGE property larger than it started. But it's unfortunately not "real" growth and is just a visual lie: the crop is still only on stage one. This can be verified by breaking the crop when it is supposedly mature (it only gives a single seed, not the regular mature products), or right clicking it with an empty hand, which updates it visually to reveal that it is still just on the initial stage of growth. This is definitely a different effect than what bonemealing a seed does, which leads me to believe I'm not updating the right aspects of the crop block.

I believe this is me misunderstanding how BlockState updates can occur, so if anyone can enlighten me on what I'm missing it would be most appreciated.

Edited by ojb

I think your problem is that you've made the crop grow on the client side (and only the client side) while on the sever side of things, nothing's changed.

Show your code.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

1 hour ago, Draco18s said:

I think your problem is that you've made the crop grow on the client side (and only the client side) while on the sever side of things, nothing's changed.

You're absolutely correct! I was a dummy and had it checking

if (world.isRemote())

instead of

if (!world.isRemote())

inside my tick() function with the grow updates. I guess I didn't read the docs too carefully and just assumed the isRemote flag was reversed. This change fixed my issue, and it works as I would expect. Thank you Draco!

1 hour ago, ojb said:

I guess I didn't read the docs too carefully and just assumed the isRemote flag was reversed.

This is why it has been renamed to isClient in 1.13+.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

12 hours ago, Draco18s said:

This is why it has been renamed to isClient in 1.13+.

It's still isRemote (and probably always will be), see this issue on the MCPBot issue tracker.

Edited by Choonster

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

40 minutes ago, Choonster said:

It's still isRemote (and probably always will be), see this issue on the MCPBot issue tracker.

Oh? Huh, thought I'd saw that it changed.

*shrug*

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
    • I have no idea how a UI mod crashed a whole world but HUGE props to you man, just saved me +2 months of progress!  
    • So i know for a fact this has been asked before but Render stuff troubles me a little and i didnt find any answer for recent version. I have a custom nausea effect. Currently i add both my nausea effect and the vanilla one for the effect. But the problem is that when I open the inventory, both are listed, while I'd only want mine to show up (both in the inv and on the GUI)   I've arrived to the GameRender (on joined/net/minecraft/client) and also found shaders on client-extra/assets/minecraft/shaders/post and client-extra/assets/minecraft/shaders/program but I'm lost. I understand that its like a regular screen, where I'd render stuff "over" the game depending on data on the server, but If someone could point to the right client and server classes that i can read to see how i can manage this or any tip would be apreciated
    • Let me try and help you with love spells, traditional healing, native healing, fortune telling, witchcraft, psychic readings, black magic, voodoo, herbalist healing, or any other service your may desire within the realm of african native healing, the spirits and the ancestors. I am a sangoma and healer. I could help you to connect with the ancestors , interpret dreams, diagnose illness through divination with bones, and help you heal both physical and spiritual illness. We facilitate the deepening of your relationship to the spirit world and the ancestors. Working in partnership with one\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\’s ancestors is a gift representing a close link with the spirit realm as a mediator between the worlds.*   Witchdoctors, or sorcerers, are often purveyors of mutis and charms that cause harm to people. we believe that we are here for only one purpose, to heal through love and compassion.*   African people share a common understanding of the importance of ancestors in daily life. When they have lost touch with their ancestors, illness may result or bad luck. Then a traditional healer, or sangoma, is sought out who may prescribe herbs, changes in lifestyle, a career change, or changes in relationships. The client may also be told to perform a ceremony or purification ritual to appease the ancestors.*   Let us solve your problems using powerful African traditional methods. We believe that our ancestors and spirits give us enlightenment, wisdom, divine guidance, enabling us to overcome obstacles holding your life back. Our knowledge has been passed down through centuries, being refined along the way from generation to generation. We believe in the occult, the paranormal, the spirit world, the mystic world.*   The services here are based on the African Tradition Value system/religion,where we believe the ancestors and spirits play a very important role in society. The ancestors and spirits give guidance and counsel in society. They could enable us to see into the future and give solutions to the problems affecting us. We use rituals, divination, spells, chants and prayers to enable us tackle the task before us.*   I have experience in helping and guiding many people from all over the world. My psychic abilities may help you answer and resolve many unanswered questions
    • Let me try and help you with love spells, traditional healing, native healing, fortune telling, witchcraft, psychic readings, black magic, voodoo, herbalist healing, or any other service your may desire within the realm of african native healing, the spirits and the ancestors. I am a sangoma and healer. I could help you to connect with the ancestors , interpret dreams, diagnose illness through divination with bones, and help you heal both physical and spiritual illness. We facilitate the deepening of your relationship to the spirit world and the ancestors. Working in partnership with one\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\’s ancestors is a gift representing a close link with the spirit realm as a mediator between the worlds.*   Witchdoctors, or sorcerers, are often purveyors of mutis and charms that cause harm to people. we believe that we are here for only one purpose, to heal through love and compassion.*   African people share a common understanding of the importance of ancestors in daily life. When they have lost touch with their ancestors, illness may result or bad luck. Then a traditional healer, or sangoma, is sought out who may prescribe herbs, changes in lifestyle, a career change, or changes in relationships. The client may also be told to perform a ceremony or purification ritual to appease the ancestors.*   Let us solve your problems using powerful African traditional methods. We believe that our ancestors and spirits give us enlightenment, wisdom, divine guidance, enabling us to overcome obstacles holding your life back. Our knowledge has been passed down through centuries, being refined along the way from generation to generation. We believe in the occult, the paranormal, the spirit world, the mystic world.*   The services here are based on the African Tradition Value system/religion,where we believe the ancestors and spirits play a very important role in society. The ancestors and spirits give guidance and counsel in society. They could enable us to see into the future and give solutions to the problems affecting us. We use rituals, divination, spells, chants and prayers to enable us tackle the task before us.*   I have experience in helping and guiding many people from all over the world. My psychic abilities may help you answer and resolve many unanswered questions
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.