[1.15.1] DeferredRegister vs RegistryEvent

DragonITA

4 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

DeferredRegister is the most up to date and modern way.

This is new. Just had to do a search for it, as this is the first I'd heard of it. I hadn't read this thread when it was new:

• Like 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I have seen references to the DeferredRegister in the test mods, but it is only today that I actually started looking into how it works.

The documentation makes absolutely no mention of it at all (admittedly most of the documentation is not up to date).

Would be nice if someone who understood it more could update the docs and preferably give an example (I didn't know that it sort of replaced ObjectHolder fields).

14 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

There is extensive Javadocs, including copy-paste-ready examples, on the DeferredRegister class.

True, but there is absolutely no mention of it in the documentation. Most modders wouldn't know to look at the javadoc of a class which they haven't heard of.

Either way, this is now off-topic.

Edited by Alpvax

Just now, diesieben07 said:

I am well aware of that. My issue is that I don't feel that I know enough about it to start explaining it to others (I haven't yet looked into how you would use RegistryObject for example).

I would prefer that someone who knows how to use it write it, then I could learn from that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

The docs site is great, but it does need 1.14 and/or 1.15 branches to be created.  1.13.x is basically dead now, and 1.12 is no longer supported.  This was even mentioned in a recent pull request: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/Documentation/pull/239

On the same topic, even though there are a few recent pull requests, the last commit to 1.13.x was 5 months ago.  I'm not having a dig at anyone here - I know everyone has busy lives - but it does suggest that the docs site could benefit from one or more dedicated maintainers.

(Hey, once a 1.14 branch is created, I'll write up pages on particles and container/gui registration :) )

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

DeferredRegister makes it impossible to do things at the wrong time.

Finally.

Give me a couple hours and I’ll have pushed my changes to ExampleMod and my tutorials that make all registration use DeferredRegisty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

• 2 months later...

@Cadiboo// You can do extra filtering here if you don't want some blocks to have an BlockItem automatically registered for them // .filter(block -> needsItemBlock(block))

that was in your ExampleMod in ModEventSubscriber class. But I don't know how to use it. How do I add a block so that it's not in the creative tab?