[1.14.4 - IntelliJ] Develop during runtime

ZemahZalek

I'm just wondering if there is a way to develop a mod during runtime? It's quite annoying to restart Minecraft every time I need to change something small.

I tried changing textures for a single block, rebuilding the project and then refreshing the textures (F3 + T or whatever the command was) but instead IntelliJ gives an error (something about access denied) and all items and blocks included in the mod lose their textures (even the textures I never touched).

Is is possible? And if so, what is changeable during runtime?

To a point.  You can Run -> Reload Changed Classes, which will allow you to fiddle with existing functions and see the result without having to restart.

But it will only take you so far.  You can't add functions, or make any real widespread change.  Handy for debugging, but I've found a restart is usually in the near future.

Alas, the last I've seen the resource reload work successfully was in 1.12.2. 

10 minutes ago, Ommina said:

But it will only take you so far.  You can't add functions, or make any real widespread change.  Handy for debugging, but I've found a restart is usually in the near future.

You can use DCEVM.

Edited by Cadiboo

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

Download DCEVM, go to project settings and change the project SDK to DCEVM. You can also select a specific JVM per run config

About Me

Spoiler

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

On 1/27/2020 at 5:23 AM, Cadiboo said:

Download DCEVM, go to project settings and change the project SDK to DCEVM. You can also select a specific JVM per run config

Should I follow these steps: https://liferay.dev/blogs/-/blogs/java-classes-instant-reloading-using-dcevm-hotswap-agent to set up the DCEVM JDK, or just download the DCEVM (from the same link) and use that as the SDK?

Edited by ZemahZalek

All you need to do is install DCEVM (I do it as a full rather than alt JVM) and then change your project SDK to point to it. HotSwapAgent isn’t necessary.

About Me

Spoiler

On 1/29/2020 at 8:22 AM, Cadiboo said:

All you need to do is install DCEVM (I do it as a full rather than alt JVM) and then change your project SDK to point to it. HotSwapAgent isn’t necessary.

I believe I have installed it correctly now. Is there a way to know it's working? I'm not sure of changes that can be made to the code during runtime when using DCEVM.

3 hours ago, ZemahZalek said:

Is there a way to know it's working?

Add/Remove a Field/Method

About Me

Spoiler