Looking for mod to assign large PVP-possible "plots" to players with Forge?

AzzerUK

This is possibly a very very basic question, but I have really really tried to find the solution myself, but could find nothing that works for more recent versions of stuff.

Basically I've set up a server locally for me and a friend, with "Forge" and Universal Electricity, ICBM, Atomic Science and a few similar mods. No launchers or anything - we're both using MC client 1.5.1 with the newest Forge installed into it.

What we want to do is give ourselves a set period of time - say one or two weeks - to build a large "base"/bunker - and then to go to war with eachother.

What I'm after is some way of allowing us to "book" or claim a large area of land (several chunks/an island/something) each, so that if we go into the other player's area, we *CAN* use explosives/missiles etc, and *CAN* interact with any switches and doors... but *CAN'T* place blocks or destroy blocks with pickaxes/paxels/etc.

Is there any mod I can put on, with Forge, that will support this? I briefly saw mention of something called "Factions" for CraftBukkit that sounds like it MIGHT do something similar - but from what I could find online, you can no longer use new versions of CraftBukkit with new versions of Forge (or if you can, not without masses of work/problems, unless I missed something?)... which rules out us using universal electricity/ICBM/Atomic Science etc. which is the main desire. "Forge Essentials" hints at stuff with it's "zones" but to be honest I really, really did not understand much of that or how I might utilize it in the ways I'm after (or even close to that).

I'd also quite like us to be able to start off with XXXX items/materials each in our own starter areas through a mod - eg a couple of chests full of basic building materials - but I can handle this by starting a new world, manually filling a couple of chests in creative mode, and then removing creative mode before we start playing. (again, "ForgeEssentials" kits might enable this if the kits have huge re-use timers, but I'd rather not install it JUST for the kits).

(and yes, this was all massively inspired by the recent "Voltz" yogscasts we saw out of the blue this week, neither of us having minecrafted for a couple of years)

Hope somebody can help us out so we can relive our own private, violent but "fair" minecraft war! :P

• 1 month later...

it's kinda on the back burner right now as I'm waiting to see how well forge essentials does with updating to 1.5 (personally, I'm using a beta version), but I have a mod in the works that should allow you to do what you're asking. I had a really early primitive version available for download, but my web server got messed up and I haven't reuploaded it, plus it's just for 1.4.7 and it's REALLY primitive with several bits not working for land claiming. I guess I could look in to seeing how well the updated FE works and try to get it back working though if there's demand, but I'll have to check exactly how perms work standard in FE for block breaking versus using as I could have sworn it wasn't possible to make it so you could use blocks but not break them, but that shouldn't be that hard to change (just write new permissions.... yay.....) and they already have some PvP related blocking features in the latest version iirc. So, um, if you're willing to wait a couple weeks for me to get that code all back working for 1.5 and flesh out the perm system and some of the background systems more, I could probably provide a mod that does what you're asking. I wish I could get one faster, but I'm still in the process of learning some of the SQL stuff necessary to do it properly and I've got some other semi-related mods I'm working on and after having to rewrite the entire thing at least twice already, I'm hoping to get it 'right' from the code perspective while still having lots of commands to make it easy to use and understand and both of those are a bit time consuming.

In the mean time, I would say that you could just start and kinda wait for the battle if you can trust people to 'follow the rules' so to speak for your activity. I really wish I knew of a mod that easily did what you're asking, but it's kinda a blind spot in the forge mod world as historically a lot of that was handled by bukkit and there isn't much in the way of large scale social servers that run forge and would need something like that.

Shameless FE plug ahead, you were warned:

This is possibly a very very basic question, but I have really really tried to find the solution myself, but could find nothing that works for more recent versions of stuff.

Basically I've set up a server locally for me and a friend, with "Forge" and Universal Electricity, ICBM, Atomic Science and a few similar mods. No launchers or anything - we're both using MC client 1.5.1 with the newest Forge installed into it.

What we want to do is give ourselves a set period of time - say one or two weeks - to build a large "base"/bunker - and then to go to war with eachother.

What I'm after is some way of allowing us to "book" or claim a large area of land (several chunks/an island/something) each, so that if we go into the other player's area, we *CAN* use explosives/missiles etc, and *CAN* interact with any switches and doors... but *CAN'T* place blocks or destroy blocks with pickaxes/paxels/etc.

What you are looking for is most probably the FE protection module, which provides the necessary permissions for interacting with the world.

Is there any mod I can put on, with Forge, that will support this? I briefly saw mention of something called "Factions" for CraftBukkit that sounds like it MIGHT do something similar - but from what I could find online, you can no longer use new versions of CraftBukkit with new versions of Forge (or if you can, not without masses of work/problems, unless I missed something?)... which rules out us using universal electricity/ICBM/Atomic Science etc. which is the main desire. "Forge Essentials" hints at stuff with it's "zones" but to be honest I really, really did not understand much of that or how I might utilize it in the ways I'm after (or even close to that).

A zone, simply put, is a defined area where permissions other than the default permissions in the world apply.

I'd also quite like us to be able to start off with XXXX items/materials each in our own starter areas through a mod - eg a couple of chests full of basic building materials - but I can handle this by starting a new world, manually filling a couple of chests in creative mode, and then removing creative mode before we start playing. (again, "ForgeEssentials" kits might enable this if the kits have huge re-use timers, but I'd rather not install it JUST for the kits).

That is why we have a modular system - just remove the files you don't need.

(and yes, this was all massively inspired by the recent "Voltz" yogscasts we saw out of the blue this week, neither of us having minecrafted for a couple of years)

Hope somebody can help us out so we can relive our own private, violent but "fair" minecraft war! :P

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.