[SOLVED] [1.15.2] Recipe JSON isn't loading

Blazer Nitrox

Hello, wonderful modding community!

Today, I bring you a tale of such woe that I must insist you be firmly seated before I can begin - otherwise, your sympathetic despair may cause you to collapse.

Well, it's really not that bad (aside from spending nigh on 12 hours trying to get a working JDK for use with Forge because I'm a masochist that doesn't want to give Oracle my info).

What it boils down to is that for some unknown reason Forge isn't recognizing my recipe JSON.

Now would be a good time to note that I haven't touched Forge since 1.12.2, and I'm one of those poor fools who was taught to manually register everything (via GameRegistry.register) and to put everything into proxies. I'm now taking the time to re-learn how to write mods *properly*. Problem is, one of the things that changed out from under me was recipe registering. Supposedly, you just create a recipe file (in JSON format) with the type of recipe, recipe pattern (like the old registering pattern), key (also like the old registering key), and result.

I've already gone and created the associated item and block, and triple-checked the registry IDs.

assets/agab/recipes/example_ore.json (the recipe file):

Spoiler

{
	"type": "minecraft:crafting_shaped",
	"pattern": [
		"xxx",
		"xxx",
		"xxx"
	],
	"key": {
		"x": {
			"item": "agab:example_item",
			"data": 0
		}
	},
	"result": {
		"item": "agab:example_ore",
		"count": 1,
		"data": 0
	}
}

((don't ask about the MODID, it's not important other than that it's consistent))

I can confirm that the item and the block are both appearing in the game, but for some unknown reason this JSON isn't loading, and I can't find any mention of it in the log.
For reference, I'm using Forge 1.15.2-31.1.0, along with Eclipse 2019-12.
Relating to that statement about being a masochist, I'm using AdoptOpenJDK ver. 1.8.0_242-b08 with the HotSpot JVM ver. 25.242-b08 on a 64-bit machine (that last bit was ~2 of the 12 hours lol).

I'd include a pastebin for debug.log, but uh... apparently it's like 3.3 meg??

Edited by Blazer Nitrox
fix title to represent the state of the question

6 hours ago, Blazer Nitrox said:

assets/agab/recipes/example_ore.json

Recipes go in data, not assets :)

Same for loot tables, and I forget if there's anything else, check the vanilla stuff and see what they put in there :)

edit: dug this link out, has some good info on a lot of the changes since 1.12: https://gist.github.com/williewillus/353c872bcf1a6ace9921189f6100d09a

Edited by Ugdhar
added update primer link

4 hours ago, Ugdhar said:

Recipes go in data, not assets :)

Hunh, well I'll be. It also turned out that I didn't need the `data` fields (which I suspected but couldn't prove).
That's interesting... The docs say it should be `./assets/<modid>/recipes`. I assume that's one of the things that hasn't been updated yet, though.

edit: dug this link out, has some good info on a lot of the changes since 1.12: https://gist.github.com/williewillus/353c872bcf1a6ace9921189f6100d09a

Ah, very very nice! That'll be much appreciated. Thanks for your help, mate!

16 hours ago, Blazer Nitrox said:

The docs say it should be `./assets/<modid>/recipes`

That’s the way it was in 1.12.2, it changed in 1.13

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

19 hours ago, Blazer Nitrox said:

Hunh, well I'll be. It also turned out that I didn't need the `data` fields (which I suspected but couldn't prove).

If you need proof, look at ShapedRecipe#deserializeItem(), where the "data" field is explicitly disallowed.

This is due to the Flattening: item and block data is no longer a thing as of Minecraft 1.13 (which is great).  See https://gist.github.com/williewillus/353c872bcf1a6ace9921189f6100d09a#whats-the-deal-with-metadata

Edited by desht

6 hours ago, desht said:

If you need proof, look at ShapedRecipe#deserializeItem(), where the "data" field is explicitly disallowed.

This is due to the Flattening: item and block data is no longer a thing as of Minecraft 1.13 (which is great).  See https://gist.github.com/williewillus/353c872bcf1a6ace9921189f6100d09a#whats-the-deal-with-metadata

Yeah, I had noticed that when I was reading through his document. I gotta admit, part of me is sad to see magic metadata numbers go, if only for nostalgia's sake. On the other hand, I would much rather avoid magic numbers entirely.

9 hours ago, Cadiboo said:

That’s the way it was in 1.12.2, it changed in 1.13

Yeah, I'm loving the changes you guys made so far. Now that I'm getting used to it again everything feels a lot... I dunno, cleaner? It just seems like a much nicer experience than it used to be

Oh, I suppose I should mark this solved now lol

Edited by Blazer Nitrox

3 hours ago, Blazer Nitrox said:

Yeah, I'm loving the changes you guys made so far. Now that I'm getting used to it again everything feels a lot... I dunno, cleaner? It just seems like a much nicer experience than it used to be

It was both Mojang and Forge that made these changes but I quite agree about hot it’s cleaner.

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)