[1.15.2] How can I add particles in a smoke bomb way?

SciPunk

Hi, I'm trying to make a smoke bomb, here's my code but the particles doesn't seem to render

My code:

public class EntitySmokePellet extends ProjectileItemEntity {

public static final EntityType<EntitySmokePellet> BATARANG = register();

protected EntitySmokePellet(EntityType<? extends ThrowableEntity> type, World worldIn) {
        super(EntitiesHolder.SMOKE_PELLET,worldIn);

}

@Override
    public IPacket<?> createSpawnPacket() {
        return NetworkHooks.getEntitySpawningPacket(this);
    }

protected EntitySmokePellet(double x, double y, double z, World worldIn) {
        super(EntitiesHolder.SMOKE_PELLET, x, y, z, worldIn);

}

protected EntitySmokePellet(EntityType<? extends ThrowableEntity> type, LivingEntity livingEntityIn, World worldIn) {
        super(EntitiesHolder.SMOKE_PELLET, livingEntityIn, worldIn);
    }

protected Item getDefaultItem() {
        return ItemHolder.SMOKE_PELLETE;
    }
    @Override
    protected void onImpact(RayTraceResult result) {

if (!this.world.isRemote) {

if (result instanceof EntityRayTraceResult) {
                EntityRayTraceResult entityRayTraceResult = (EntityRayTraceResult) result;
                if(entityRayTraceResult.getEntity() instanceof MobEntity) {
                    MobEntity entity = (MobEntity) entityRayTraceResult.getEntity();

double d0 = (double)entity.getPosX() + 0.5D;
                    double d1 = (double)entity.getPosY();
                    double d2 = (double)entity.getPosZ() + 0.5D;

entity.addPotionEffect(new EffectInstance(Effects.SLOWNESS,120,5));
                    entity.addPotionEffect(new EffectInstance(Effects.NAUSEA,120,5));
                    entity.addPotionEffect(new EffectInstance(Effects.BLINDNESS,120,5));
                    entity.world.addParticle(ParticleTypes.LARGE_SMOKE,d0,d1,d2,0,0,0);

this.remove();

}

}

else if (result instanceof  BlockRayTraceResult) {

BlockRayTraceResult blockRayTraceResult = (BlockRayTraceResult) result;

for (int i = 0; i <= 25; i++) {
                    this.world.addParticle(ParticleTypes.LARGE_SMOKE,blockRayTraceResult.getPos().getX() , blockRayTraceResult.getPos().getY() , blockRayTraceResult.getPos().getZ(), 0, 0,0);
                }

this.remove();
            }
        }
    }

public static EntityType register() {
        return EntityType.Builder.<EntitySmokePellet>create(EntitySmokePellet::new, EntityClassification.MISC).size(0.8F, 0.8F).build("smoke_pellet").setRegistryName(ComicUniverse.MODID,"smoke_pellet");
    }

}

23 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

The version of addParticle you are using only does something on the client. You are only ever calling it on the server, so nothing happens.

To spawn particles on the server you have to use ServerWorld#spawnParticle, however you should try to only spawn particles client-side, if possible, to avoid unnecessary network traffic.

Thanks a lot, so for this case I should render it on the server-side? as I want other players to see the smoke

You can probably get away with just spawning your particles outside of the:

if (!this.world.isRemote) { ... }

As the impact is going to get fired for all the players who can see that entity anyway, using the logic to keep the entity in sync.

Spawning on the server will send an SSpawnParticlePacket with world location, etc where the particles should go. If you call this every tick, you send that packet every tick, so it is always better to have the client side do the spawning when you know they will already be insync.