[1.15.2] How do I make a food item have the enchated glow like an enchanted golden apple?

Melon9191

I am learning how to make mods. For my Hello World project I chose to make a platinum mod? How would I add the enchant effect to an Enchanted Platinum Apple. Thank you in advance. Here is my code:

package com.melon9191.platinummod.init;

import com.melon9191.platinummod.PlatinumMod;
import com.melon9191.platinummod.PlatinumMod.PlatinumItemGroup;

import net.minecraft.item.Food;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemGroup;
import net.minecraft.potion.EffectInstance;
import net.minecraft.potion.Effects;
import net.minecraftforge.event.RegistryEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.ObjectHolder;

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = PlatinumMod.MOD_ID, bus = Bus.MOD)
@ObjectHolder(PlatinumMod.MOD_ID)
public class ItemInit 
{
	public static final Item platinum_ingot = null;
	public static final Item platinum_apple = null;
	public static final Item platinum_enchantedapple = null;

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerItems(final RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) 
	{
		event.getRegistry().register(new Item(new Item.Properties().group(ItemGroup.MISC)).setRegistryName("platinum_ingot"));	
		event.getRegistry().register(new Item(new Item.Properties().group(PlatinumItemGroup.instance).food(new Food.Builder().hunger(5).saturation(1.3f).setAlwaysEdible().effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.STRENGTH, 3000, 1), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.ABSORPTION, 3000, 1), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.REGENERATION, 3000, 2), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.RESISTANCE, 3000, 0), 1f).build())).setRegistryName("platinum_apple"));
		event.getRegistry().register(new Item(new Item.Properties().group(PlatinumItemGroup.instance).food(new Food.Builder().hunger(6).saturation(1.4f).setAlwaysEdible().effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.STRENGTH, 3600, 2), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.ABSORPTION, 3600, 3), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.REGENERATION, 3600, 3), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.RESISTANCE, 3600, 2), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.FIRE_RESISTANCE, 3600, 0), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.GLOWING, 3600, 0), 1f).build())).setRegistryName("platinum_enchantedapple"));
	}
}

The enchanted glow is added to an item whenever Item::hasEffect returns true. So you'll probably have to override that to get it to return true, somehow. I'm a little confused by your syntax for creating items, so you'd have to look into that yourself.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Melon9191 said:

I am learning how to make mods. For my Hello World project I chose to make a platinum mod? How would I add the enchant effect to an Enchanted Platinum Apple. Thank you in advance. Here is my code:

import com.melon9191.platinummod.PlatinumMod;
import com.melon9191.platinummod.PlatinumMod.PlatinumItemGroup;

import net.minecraft.item.Food;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemGroup;
import net.minecraft.potion.EffectInstance;
import net.minecraft.potion.Effects;
import net.minecraftforge.event.RegistryEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.ObjectHolder;

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = PlatinumMod.MOD_ID, bus = Bus.MOD)
@ObjectHolder(PlatinumMod.MOD_ID)
public class ItemInit 
{
	public static final Item platinum_ingot = null;
	public static final Item platinum_apple = null;
	public static final Item platinum_enchantedapple = null;

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerItems(final RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) 
	{
		event.getRegistry().register(new Item(new Item.Properties().group(ItemGroup.MISC)).setRegistryName("platinum_ingot"));	
		event.getRegistry().register(new Item(new Item.Properties().group(PlatinumItemGroup.instance).food(new Food.Builder().hunger(5).saturation(1.3f).setAlwaysEdible().effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.STRENGTH, 3000, 1), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.ABSORPTION, 3000, 1), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.REGENERATION, 3000, 2), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.RESISTANCE, 3000, 0), 1f).build())).setRegistryName("platinum_apple"));
		event.getRegistry().register(new Item(new Item.Properties().group(PlatinumItemGroup.instance).food(new Food.Builder().hunger(6).saturation(1.4f).setAlwaysEdible().effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.STRENGTH, 3600, 2), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.ABSORPTION, 3600, 3), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.REGENERATION, 3600, 3), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.RESISTANCE, 3600, 2), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.FIRE_RESISTANCE, 3600, 0), 1f).effect(new EffectInstance(Effects.GLOWING, 3600, 0), 1f).build())).setRegistryName("platinum_enchantedapple"));
	}
}

7 minutes ago, M3rein said:

The enchanted glow is added to an item whenever Item::hasEffect returns true. So you'll probably have to override that to get it to return true, somehow. I'm a little confused by your syntax for creating items, so you'd have to look into that yourself.

If that what @M3rein has say was true, then you need to create a new class that extend Item and override the Item.hasEffect.

New in Modding? == Still learning!

This is what I got from that, but it isn't working. I made a new class in init and wrote this up. Sorry I'm just learning and getting a grasp on everything!

import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;

public class ItemEffect extends Item {

public ItemEffect(Properties hasEffect) {
		super(hasEffect);
	}

@Override
	   public boolean hasEffect(ItemStack platinum_enchantedapple) {
	      return platinum_enchantedapple.isEnchanted();
	   }

}

Instead of checking if the stack is enchanted, simply return true. Since the stack likely isn't enchanted, it will return false otherwise.

Also, there's actually a SimpleFoiledItem class in vanilla that you can use like you were doing before, without having to make your own class just for that.

I'm eager to learn and am prone to mistakes. Don't hesitate to tell me how I can improve.

Like I said before I am new so alot of this is just lack of experience but once I paste the code into a new class what do I do?

import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;

public class ItemEffect extends Item {
	   public ItemEffect(Item.Properties builder) {
		      super(builder);
		   }

public boolean hasEffect(ItemStack stack) {
		      return true;
		   }
		}

4 minutes ago, Melon9191 said:

Like I said before I am new so alot of this is just lack of experience but once I paste the code into a new class what do I do?

Instantiate it during registration just like you do with the normal Item class. Basically call new ItemEffect() instead of new Item() when registering your items.

Side note: I would encourage you to learn Java outside of Minecraft modding, as learning Java in this sort of environment can be difficult. :)

I'm eager to learn and am prone to mistakes. Don't hesitate to tell me how I can improve.

5 minutes ago, imacatlolol said:

Instantiate it during registration just like you do with the normal Item class. Basically call new ItemEffect() instead of new Item() when registering your items.

Side note: I would encourage you to learn Java outside of Minecraft modding, as learning Java in this sort of environment can be difficult. :)

Thank you this method worked. Where do you recommend me to learn Java?

3 minutes ago, Melon9191 said:

Where do you recommend me to learn Java?

I'm not a Java expert myself so I'm sure someone else could give a better answer, but there's a few resources I know of.

• W3Schools' tutorials are pretty good, and they have good examples. Their section on Classes and Object Oriented Programming in general may be particularly useful.
  • Oracle's official documentations have a pretty bare-bones tutorial, if that works for you.
  • If you're a visual learner, there are also many YouTube tutorials that may help explain some confusing aspects of java using examples, too many to list here.
  • And of course, when in doubt, Google can be your best friend when something is confusing. It's no secret that even veteran programmers regularly use Google to make sure they're doing something correctly.

I personally learned Java by just looking up random resources to find what worked for me, then I just trial-and-errored my way here. I've gotten pretty good, but it's very easy to fall into bad habits. It's always a good idea to look at other people's code to see how to improve.