How does one use particle effects?

HappyHippo77

I've been doing some searching for help with this but can't seem to find anything. I don't want to add new particles into the game, I want to use the vanilla particles. Basically I'm trying to get flame particles to appear over specific parts of a block in my mod (where there are candles) and cannot find anything telling me how to even begin to use particles. So yeah, just some information on how to do that (or pointing to a good tutorial for it) would be nice. I'm using 1.14.4.

18 hours ago, Ugdhar said:

in your IDE under referenced libraries, you should be able to view the forge/minecraft sources, and other assets in the client-extra.jar

I'm using IntelliJ, and I can't seem to find anything like this. Would it be in "External Libraries"? And if so what would the name in there be? I see nothing similar to "client-extra"...

It is under External Libraries - it'll look something like "Gradle: net.minecraftforge:forge:1.14.4". The assets will be in net.minecraft:client:extra.

Edited by HenryRichard

I'll put something here when I have something of value I need to put at the end of every post. For now it's this mostly pointless text.

1 hour ago, HenryRichard said:

It is under External Libraries - it'll look something like "Gradle: net.minecraftforge:forge:1.14.4". The assets will be in net.minecraft:client:extra.

Thanks! One problem though, I can get it down to "client" but there's no "extra".

EDIT: well I didn't find "extra", but I did find "block" above "client" and I think it was in there.

Edited by HappyHippo77

Another useful Intellij shortcut here is Ctrl-N, the default binding for Navigate -> Class...

Press Ctrl-N and type in the name, or part of the name, of the class you want to find (in this case TorchBlock). You might also need to press Ctrl-N a second time, to toggle on the "include non-project items" checkbox, since TorchBlock isn't part of your own project.  This works for any class known to your project, including all those in external libraries like Forge and (deobfuscated) vanilla code.