Particles [1.15]

modders2

How do I create a custom particle in 1.15?

I am using deferred registries - and I have this

public static DeferredRegister<ParticleType<?>> PARTICLE = new DeferredRegister<>(ForgeRegistries.PARTICLE_TYPES, Main.MOD_ID);

public static RegistryObject<ParticleType<?>> CARBON = PARTICLE.register("carbon", () -> new BasicParticleType(false));

However, I'm not sure what to do from here, if this is all I need or I need to add a directory to the actual texture file

For particles there are 4 things:

• Particle
  • ParticleType
  • IParticleData
  • IParticleFactory

Having BasicParticleType covers the ParticleType and IParticleData

Next you need a class that extends Particle (or TexturedParticle or SpriteTexturedParticle), in it you implement what you need (motion, texture, rendering).

You finally need a class (I nest it in my Particle class) that extends IParticleFactory, it'll have a makeParticle function (i think that is the name) that will take as a parameter your registered ParticleType and return an instance of the particle you created above.

For a simple particle BasicParticleType is fine, about 90% or more of vanilla particle use it. For more complex particles, you need a proper ParticleType and IParticleData, you can look at how vanilla does it in its redstone particle.

38 minutes ago, Cyborgmas said:

For particles there are 4 things:

• Particle
  • ParticleType
  • IParticleData
  • IParticleFactory

Having BasicParticleType covers the ParticleType and IParticleData

Next you need a class that extends Particle (or TexturedParticle or SpriteTexturedParticle), in it you implement what you need (motion, texture, rendering).

You finally need a class (I nest it in my Particle class) that extends IParticleFactory, it'll have a makeParticle function (i think that is the name) that will take as a parameter your registered ParticleType and return an instance of the particle you created above.

For a simple particle BasicParticleType is fine, about 90% or more of vanilla particle use it. For more complex particles, you need a proper ParticleType and IParticleData, you can look at how vanilla does it in its redstone particle.

Do you have an example I could look at maybe?