1.5+ How to set Slot Background [solved] / Invisible Item to NEI/TMI?

Dark2phoenix

Does anyone have a working sample of this?  In my GUI I'd like to show whether a slot is activated or not by the background image.  In 1.4.7 I had this working but in 1.5.1 I can't figure it out.  I can get images to render in the slot, but they are like a weird stretched lapis lazuli, apple or coal - not the ones that I created.

I don't have any items in my mod (I got armor to work in my GUI and saw that they attach secondary icons to the items themselves) so I'm wondering how I'm supposed to do this.  Is there a way to make an entity that you can't see in NEI that I could attach my icons to?

So I was able to get this to work by attaching the textures to an item, not a block.  My question now is, since I don't actually have an item in the game, is there a way to create an "invisible" item that you can't see with NEI or TooManyMods?

I don't have a crafting recipe, but I also don't want the game to crash because someone tried to cheat in what should be an non-existent item.