Using BlockStateProvider

Anubis

I try to use the BlockStateProvider Provider to create the JSON's Files(Model and Blockstates) for my blocks, but i couldn't figure out how it works and couldn't find a tutorial or stuff like this. I just want to create simple all side same block and model, but doing it for every block is exhausting, so i wanted to use the BlockStateProvider. I found the models().cubeAll(name, texture) command, but I don't know, how to fill in the right values. I tried models().cubeAll("basic_block", new ResourceLocation(Mod.MODID,"basic_block")); but only got errors.

public class Crushing_Projekt_BlocksGenerator extends BlockStateProvider {

public Crushing_Projekt_BlocksGenerator(DataGenerator gen, ExistingFileHelper exFileHelper) {
		super(gen, Crushing_Projekt.MODID, exFileHelper);
		// TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
	}

@Override
	protected void registerStatesAndModels() {
		models().cubeAll("basic_block", new ResourceLocation(Crushing_Projekt.MODID,"basic_block"));

}

}

Thanks for help

PS: English isn't my mother tongue, but I hope you understand what I mean.

16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I try to use the BlockStateProvider Provider to create the JSON's Files(Model and Blockstates) for my blocks

What diesieben said as well as if you want to automate this process you are going to have to write your own piece of code that generates those files. Which isn't that hard. You can take a look at this. I made this a while ago I don't recall if it still generates a proper blockstate, it probably doesn't, but the code should help you on your way.

• Like 1

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

At first, i want to say thanks for fast reply.

Why do you extend BlockStateProvider? That doesn't do what you think it does.

For the Item- and BlockTags and the Recipes I could use a provider, so i thought that it would work her too. Especially because it implements the IDataProvider. 

Just want to mention that I mean the import BlockStateProvider  from net.minecraftforge.client.model.generators.BlockStateProvider, not the other one. Here are my other Generators:

public class Crushing_Projekt_RecipeProvider extends RecipeProvider{

public Crushing_Projekt_RecipeProvider(
				DataGenerator generatorIn) {
		super(generatorIn);
		// TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
	}

protected InventoryChangeTrigger.Instance hasItem(IItemProvider itemIn) {
    return this.hasItem(ItemPredicate.Builder.create().item(itemIn).build());
 }

@Override
	protected void registerRecipes(
				Consumer<IFinishedRecipe> consumer) {

ShapedRecipeBuilder.shapedRecipe(Items.DIAMOND, 5)//
		.patternLine("AAA")//
		.patternLine("ABA")//
		.patternLine("AAA")//
		.key('A', Blocks.DIRT)//
		.key('B', Crushing_Projekt_Items.Basic_Item)//
		.addCriterion("has_Dirt", hasItem(Blocks.DIRT))//
		.build(consumer, new ResourceLocation(Crushing_Projekt.MODID,"tutorial_diamonds"));

ShapedRecipeBuilder.shapedRecipe(Crushing_Projekt_Items.Basic_Item, 1)//
		.patternLine("AAB")//
		.patternLine("ACD")//
		.patternLine("BDC")//
		.key('A', Items.AIR)//
		.key('B', Items.OBSERVER)//
		.key('C', Items.STICKY_PISTON)
		.key('D', Items.SLIME_BLOCK)
		.setGroup("tutorial_basic")
		.addCriterion("has_Piston", this.hasItem(Blocks.PISTON))//
		.build(consumer, new ResourceLocation(Crushing_Projekt.MODID,"tutorial_basic_1"));

ShapelessRecipeBuilder.shapelessRecipe(Crushing_Projekt_Items.Basic_Item, 1)
		.addIngredient(Blocks.PISTON)
		.addIngredient(Items.DIAMOND,8)
		.setGroup("tutorial_basic")
		.addCriterion("has_Piston", this.hasItem(Blocks.PISTON))
		.build(consumer, new ResourceLocation(Crushing_Projekt.MODID,"tutorial_basic_2"));

//Smelts all with tag Tutorial
		CookingRecipeBuilder.smeltingRecipe(Ingredient.fromTag(Crushing_Projekt_Tags.Items.Tutorial), Blocks.ANDESITE, 1, 10)
		.addCriterion("has_Door", hasItem(Items.DIRT))
		.build(consumer, new ResourceLocation(Crushing_Projekt.MODID,"tutorial_andesite"));

//Smelts with forge Tag (Sotrage_Blocks, z.B. Iron Block)
		CookingRecipeBuilder.smeltingRecipe(getFakeIngredient(Tags.Items.STORAGE_BLOCKS), Blocks.ANDESITE, 1, 10)
		.addCriterion("has_storage", hasItem(Tags.Items.STORAGE_BLOCKS))
		.build(consumer, new ResourceLocation(Crushing_Projekt.MODID,"tutorial_andesite_fremd"));

/*
		CookingRecipeBuilder.smeltingRecipe(getFakeIngredient(Tags.Items.STORAGE_BLOCKS), Blocks.ANDESITE, 1, 10)
		.addCriterion("has_storage", hasItem(Tags.Items.STORAGE_BLOCKS))
		.build(consumer, new ResourceLocation(Crushing_Projekt.MODID,"tutorial_andesite_fremd"));
		*/
	}

private Ingredient getFakeIngredient(Tag<Item> tag) {
		return Ingredient.fromItemListStream(Stream.of(new TagList(tag){
			@Override
			public Collection<ItemStack> getStacks(){
				return Arrays.asList(new ItemStack(Items.ACACIA_LOG));
			}
		})); 
	}

}

public class Crushing_Projekt_ItemTagsProvider extends ItemTagsProvider{

public Crushing_Projekt_ItemTagsProvider(DataGenerator generator) {
		super(generator);
	}

@Override
	protected void registerTags() {
		getBuilder(Crushing_Projekt_Tags.Items.Tutorial).add(Crushing_Projekt_Items.Basic_Item).add(Crushing_Projekt_Blocks.BASIC_BLOCK.asItem());

}
}

public class Crushing_Projekt_BlockTagsProvider extends BlockTagsProvider{

public Crushing_Projekt_BlockTagsProvider(DataGenerator generator) {
		super(generator);
	}

@Override
	protected void registerTags() {
		getBuilder(Crushing_Projekt_Tags.Blocks.Tutorial)
			.add(Crushing_Projekt_Blocks.BASIC_BLOCK).add(Tags.Blocks.STORAGE_BLOCKS_DIAMOND);

}
}

they all work and are much simpler to use then using a big code, like Animefan8888 did. But as i mentioned, i don't get it work.

I found an Youtube Video, where someone used it, but i could figure out, how to adjust it.

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I found an Youtube Video, where someone used it, but i could figure out, how to adjust it.

This is not what you want to do. This is a much more complicated and horrible way to do what you want to do. Just make the model/blockstate files.

• Confused 1

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

BlockStateProvider is the correct way to generate blockstate and model files. There's an example in Forge's GitHub repository here, and in my mod here.

• Like 2

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

7 minutes ago, Choonster said:

BlockStateProvider is the correct way to generate blockstate and model files. There's an example in Forge's GitHub repository here, and in my mod here.

Wow. When did that become a thing? Also why did it become a thing? It seems a bit weird to have that in your mod during and post compilation. Is that something you would remove/exclude before compiling your mod since assets are packed into the jar file anyways?

Also at 645 lines, that sounds like more work than just writing the json by hand.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

1 minute ago, Animefan8888 said:

Wow. When did that become a thing? Also why did it become a thing? It seems a bit weird to have that in your mod during and post compilation. Is that something you would remove/exclude before compiling your mod since assets are packed into the jar file anyways?

Mojang added data generators (or stopped stripping them from the built JAR) in 1.14. Model generation was added in October last year by this PR.

The code is still in the mod JAR after it's built, but it doesn't run at all during normal gameplay; there's a separate main class (net.minecraft.data.Main) that runs data generators.

• Like 2

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

It was added by Mojang for their use, and has been extended to be usable by forge mods. It means that you don't have to manually create json files for all your basic blocks which are identical apart from texture.

No, you can leave it there. During normal running, the event isn't fired, so the code isn't used (and probably isn't even loaded if it is in a separate file).

3 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Also at 645 lines, that sounds like more work than just writing the json by hand.

Agreed definitely not for complicated blocks feel like there should be a simpler version of it for just simple blocks, but that's just me.

3 minutes ago, Choonster said:

Mojang added data generators (or stopped stripping them from the built JAR) in 1.14. Model generation was added in October last year by this PR.

The code is still in the mod JAR after it's built, but it doesn't run at all during normal gameplay; there's a separate main class (net.minecraft.data.Main) that runs data generators.

Thanks. I'll check out that PR.

2 minutes ago, Alpvax said:

It was added by Mojang for their use, and has been extended to be usable by forge mods. It means that you don't have to manually create json files for all your basic blocks which are identical apart from texture.

No, you can leave it there. During normal running, the event isn't fired, so the code isn't used (and probably isn't even loaded if it is in a separate file).

Yes, but might as well strip the code to save the tiniest bit of disk space. Especially if you have used it a lot.

10 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

For simple blocks, it can be a single method call that generates both the blockstates file and the block model. If you have a lot of similar blocks, you can use loops or helper methods to save having to write out the JSON by hand (or having to write your own JSON generation code).

The fluent-style builder classes make it very simple to use. The IDE can auto-complete all the methods and fields for you, so you don't have to manually type out block, property and value names.

Edited by Choonster
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Yes, but might as well strip the code to save the tiniest bit of disk space. Especially if you have used it a lot.

I seem to remember one of the mdk versions shipping with the vanilla code (and all the blocks) but the newer versions have that all stripped.

What remains is helper functions to create standard blocks, fences, stairs etc.

It is easy to strip from your mod if you really want to, as it is all called by events. Just exclude that class file from the build task, but how much space does a single class file take up (for me, including all my blockstates, models, recipes, tags etc., it's < 40kb uncompressed, and I've got a load of junk in mine that I was experimenting with)?

For example, it is far easier to create a new fence model by creating the "fence_post" and "fence_side" models (just binding a texture to the parent models, can be done easily with a function call each) and calling a single method, passing those ResourceLocations in, than it is to manually create the multipart model file.