[1.15.2] Getting a block's color for minimap

FlashHUN

I looked at how a filled map item gets block colors, tried something similar, but I've ran into a couple of issues.

My code:

private MaterialColor getBlockColorAt(int x, int z) {
	Chunk chunk = client.world.getChunkAt(new BlockPos(x, 0, z));
	int y = chunk.getTopBlockY(Heightmap.Type.WORLD_SURFACE, x, z);
	BlockPos pos = new BlockPos(x, y, z);
	return client.world.getBlockState(pos).getMaterialColor(client.world.getBlockReader(chunk.getPos().x, chunk.getPos().z), pos);
}

Issues:
BlockState#getMaterialColor is deprecated and I can't find any alternatives to use

y always returns -1

What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to get a block's color at a specific position?

Howdy

based on FilledMapItem::updateMapData and BlockColors::getColorOrMaterialColor, I think you should just use World and not mess with Chunk.

It's ok to call BlockState::getMaterialColor.  Don't worry too much about the @deprecated, they are sprinkled throughout the code and usually don't actually mean anything relevant (sometimes they are suggesting a more-flexible alternative but it's nearly always fine to ignore them.)

Cheers

TGG

On 4/10/2020 at 6:49 PM, diesieben07 said:

Mojang uses these to signify that these methods shouldn't be called, but overriding them is fine.

In the case of BlockState#getMaterialColor however it seems to be a wrongly ported Forge patch.

Yeah I think you're right about BlockState#getMaterialColor.   But I had assumed that the @deprecated are put there by MCP not by Mojang?  Do annotations survive the obfuscation process? (Given that I've never seen any vanilla code using reflection)