Looking for a Clue :) ( Don't worry I'm not completely clueless )

NewtSoup

Hey there, 

I'm running Minecraft 1.15.2, Java 1.8 Forge for 1.15.2 and Linux Mint XFCE 19.2

I have installed Eclipse and it's fine
I've run the gradle tasks
The example mod compiles and mine craft launches and I get the messages in the logs.
I was a very competent Java programmer at one time and although I've fallen behind the times I'm still very familiar with code that I read and I will catch up quickly.

I have found the Forge API Docs at read the docs - now's where I fall over

The API Docs admit that they are far from complete and while they are very helpful I need more information - I've read around on the forums and, I can't remember where, the suggestion was to "read the comments" in the code as the code is commented ( I may have misunderstood this ).  I gather that the snapshot file deobfuscates the decompiled code such that Forge can compile mods with useful and user friendly class and method names.

So my question is - Where is this code that I might read it?  I've been digging around in the subfolders of the forge packages in my project files and in ~/eclipse and in ~/.eclipse but so far no joy.

Please could someone direct me?

(EDIT: Corrected spelling and grammar )

Edited by NewtSoup

3 minutes ago, NewtSoup said:

Any particular jar file I should be looking at?

The one forge<version>mapped_snapshot should have all the vanilla/forge code in it. There's also a client-extra.jar containing client stuff like model jsons and such.

1 hour ago, NewtSoup said:

found it 

mapped_snapshot --> net -->minecraft seems to have the bulk of the information :)

thank you @Ugdhar

Just for the sake of extra help, When you import something to your mod code you can use eclipse to navigate to the package you imported something from. 

Basically if you ever import something like blocks (and you automatically imported it) from the Minecraft source code, then you can go to where that import is at the top of the file and navigate through there by clicking and double clicking around.

Additionally, you can click on any method anywhere in the source code for minecraft or for forge and wait for it to highlight and then right-click (which brings up a very nice menu) and find where it is declared and also any instances of it in other files —along with other stuffs.

I hope this is of use!

Edited by chubel10
  • Like 1

It's all of use, thank you.  I'm completely new to forge and minecraft modding and eclipse.  When I last took fingers to keyboard to program in Java, NetBeans was the canine's unmentionables of IDEs ( or Notepad ) and it was 2001  [ I'm old ]

Edited by NewtSoup
  • Like 1