trying to increase my ram, will it give me more fps on minecraft?

ImpoliteSand868

I'm wanting to test turning my usb into vram, I want to see how much fps that'll give me in minecraft.

People say it'll increase pc performance and I just wanna test it.

I know ram doen't do much, so I may save up to buy a gaming laptop. but I wanna get as much as I can.

Currently I got Optifine, performant, and some other performance mods that give me 30+ on multiplayer and 60+ on single player worlds.

I have a toshiba satellite c55-b5100 and it is a cheap laptop for gaming.  and the cpu isn't very fast but I can still play good.

Turning USB into RAM would be extremely slow and inefficient. I don’t expect it to increase your computer’s gaming performance.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

39 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Turning USB into RAM would be extremely slow and inefficient. I don’t expect it to increase your computer’s gaming performance.

ok, but would it increase my pc's overall performance? I heard to do this Windows's readyboost is a good option, and it makes me able to allocate more ram to minecraft.

18 minutes ago, ImpoliteSand868 said:

ok, but would it increase my pc's overall performance? I heard to do this Windows's readyboost is a good option, and it makes me able to allocate more ram to minecraft.

It probably won’t.

From a system’s perspective, RAM is used as runtime memory storage mainly due to its high speed compared to disk. Turning disk storage into VRAM defies this purpose. Yes, doing this will allow you to load large resource packs that was previously too large for your allocated memory, but expect the FPS to drop by 4-5 times even when not using resource packs (given that your game actually applies the extra “memory”).

Unless you are doing stuff like data science, and want to, say, load larger batches of data at a time, then there is no point in using USB as RAM.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

It probably won’t.

From a system’s perspective, RAM is used as runtime memory storage mainly due to its high speed compared to disk. Turning disk storage into VRAM defies this purpose. Yes, doing this will allow you to load large resource packs that was previously too large for your allocated memory, but expect the FPS to drop by 4-5 times even when not using resource packs (given that your game actually applies the extra “memory”).

Unless you are doing stuff like data science, and want to, say, load larger batches of data at a time, then there is no point in using USB as RAM.

I'm doing it already though. It seems to work a little better for me if i don't run any other apps. Maybe getting a faster usb would help it though. I get sometimes 100+ fps on a normal world now, granted I haven't opened it up to LAN so no other players are on there. 

I've got a pc that was from 2015/2014 and it has only one graphics card, intel hd graphics, I'm gonna save up for a budget gaming laptop, but this pc works really well if I know how to make it work good with minecraft. Only thing I have noticed is it likes to crash minecraft bedrock editon from the store.

Edited by ImpoliteSand868

16 minutes ago, ImpoliteSand868 said:

It seems to work a little better for me if i don't run any other apps.

That's good. However such effect varies heavily on setup may not happen on all devices. USB RAM is always significantly slower than normal.

16 minutes ago, ImpoliteSand868 said:

Also DavidM, do you know any apps or good youtube to tutorials on updating old mods from 1.13? I've seen some but they aren't for the mod I talked about in my last forum post, just throwing this in.

I wouldn't recommend any YouTube videos on the topic. Your best bet is to learn modding and update them yourself (make sure to contact the author for permission).

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

19 hours ago, DavidM said:

That's good. However such effect varies heavily on setup may not happen on all devices. USB RAM is always significantly slower than normal.

I wouldn't recommend any YouTube videos on the topic. Your best bet is to learn modding and update them yourself (make sure to contact the author for permission).

Well, I'll just have to learn a little bit of making player editing mods with custom windows, sliders for limb sizes, morphs to animals, then eventually post my own on curseforge. I want to know how to edit the body size, but I don't know what programs to use, I've heard of Something like MCCreator which requires no coding, at least most of it, but its only available for 1.12/13 and not for 1.15.

Edit: I found a tutorial on how to set up a modding workspace for making mods, I'm trying to learn how to at least make a slider to change player size to baby.

Edited by ImpoliteSand868

4 hours ago, ImpoliteSand868 said:

MCCreator

Please don't use that abomination. MCreator would fail you immediately once you decide to do more than "add a custom stick item into the game".

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Please don't use that abomination. MCreator would fail you immediately once you decide to do more than "add a custom stick item into the game".

I've actually just started using it. I mean, its not much for "The best Minecraft mod maker" - MCreator.

But it is accessible, and easy to use, they just really need to add a lot more features to it. Like the ability to make custom player model gui's but hey, at least now I got 100+ blocks I didn't need. 

50 minutes ago, ImpoliteSand868 said:

I've actually just started using it. I mean, its not much for "The best Minecraft mod maker" - MCreator.

But it is accessible, and easy to use, they just really need to add a lot more features to it. Like the ability to make custom player model gui's but hey, at least now I got 100+ blocks I didn't need. 

It is not a feature-related problem. If you learn programming in the future, you will realize why creating mods with MCreator (and mod makers in general) is a bad idea.

The reasons of this has been repeated at least 100 times on this forum. Do a forum search if you are interested in finding out why.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

It is not a feature-related problem. If you learn programming in the future, you will realize why creating mods with MCreator (and mod makers in general) is a bad idea.

The reasons of this has been repeated at least 100 times on this forum. Do a forum search if you are interested in finding out why.

OK, well, I'll just use it to make simple things, like blocks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 9:48 PM, ImpoliteSand868 said:

OK, well, I'll just use it to make simple things, like blocks.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:47 PM, DavidM said:

OK, DavidM, you were right, I'm only able to make very simple mods, like just blocks. I like the idea, but it really needs some fixes, so have both it and eclipse. but I'll use eclipse more for the mod development.