[1.15.2] [SOLVED] Armor that gives potion effect

GAVINSIGHT

public class PeridotArmor extends ArmorItem{

public PeridotArmor(IArmorMaterial materialIn, EquipmentSlotType slot, Properties builder) {
		super(materialIn, slot, builder);
	}

@Override
	public void onArmorTick(ItemStack itemStack, World world, PlayerEntity player) {
		ItemStack boots = player.getItemStackFromSlot(EquipmentSlotType.FEET);
		if(boots.getItem() == ItemListOld.peridot_boots) {
			player.addPotionEffect(new EffectInstance(Effects.SPEED, 100, 4));
		} else player.removePotionEffect(Effects.SPEED);

}
	}

I tried writing a class that allowed the player to move faster when wearing the armor. I'm getting no errors but when I apply the piece of armor in game it gives no effect. 

I've tried rewriting a few things and changing a few things here and there but nothing really seems to work

Edited by GAVINSIGHT

50 minutes ago, GAVINSIGHT said:

if(boots.getItem() == ItemListOld.peridot_boots) { player.addPotionEffect(new EffectInstance(Effects.SPEED, 100, 4)); } else player.removePotionEffect(Effects.SPEED); }

Are my eyes deceiving me or are you missing a bracket somewhere? Moreover, why are you removing the potion effect instead setting the effective time to something smaller. Third, potion effects should be added on the server side.

• Like 1

public PeridotArmor(IArmorMaterial materialIn, EquipmentSlotType slot, Properties builder) {
	}

@Override
	public void onArmorTick(ItemStack itemStack, World world, PlayerEntity player) {
			if(!world.isRemote) {
				player.addPotionEffect(new EffectInstance(Effects.SPEED, 5, 4, false, false, true));
			} 
		} 
	}
}

I updated my code, but it seemed to unfortunately have no effect. 

I tried swapping the order of the IF statements and adding/removing the booleans

1 hour ago, DarKnighT_0_9 said:

I can help but notice you are calling "ItemListOld". Any chance you are comparing the wrong item?

No, I have ItemList which uses deferred registry and ItemListOld which doesn’t. I switched to deferred registries for a majority of my items but found it much easier to keep my armor and tools within ItemListOld.

8 hours ago, GAVINSIGHT said:

}

@Override
			if(!world.isRemote) {
				player.addPotionEffect(new EffectInstance(Effects.SPEED, 5, 4, false, false, true));
			} 
		} 
	}
}

I updated my code, but it seemed to unfortunately have no effect. 

I tried swapping the order of the IF statements and adding/removing the booleans

Have you tried setting breakpoints? Just curious where in the code you make it to, and what is not doing as expected.

15 hours ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

13 hours ago, DarKnighT_0_9 said:

I can help but notice you are calling "ItemListOld". Any chance you are comparing the wrong item?

6 hours ago, Ugdhar said:

Have you tried setting breakpoints? Just curious where in the code you make it to, and what is not doing as expected.

Issue solved! In the code I added "PeridotArmor peridotBoots = ItemListOld.peridot_boots" and in the ItemListOld class I referred to peridot_boots as "PeridotArmor" rather than "ArmorItem". Solved the issue! Thank you for your help.

Crazy, I dreamed the solution when I fell asleep last night.