[1.15.2] IRenderTypeBuffer for use with RenderWorldLastEvent

nanorover59

I am currently working on a world render event that draws blocks in the world. In order to do this in 1.15.2, it appears I need a buffer that implements IRenderTypeBuffer. Could someone please explain how I could get an instance of this kind of buffer from within a RenderWorldLastEvent function?

Edited by nanorover59

Hi

Looking at where RenderWorldLastEvent is called in the vanilla code, it appears to be called after all the vanilla render buffers have already been finished, so there's nothing for you to write to.  (See WorldRenderer::updateCameraAndRender and ::renderWorld

Based on this link you can create your own buffer-

https://gist.github.com/williewillus/30d7e3f775fe93c503bddf054ef3f93e

But it may be difficult to achieve the effects you want if you're drawing out of the correct sequence; especially translucent blocks can be very sensitive to the order that you draw them in.  You might be better off drawing the blocks a different way (for example: tileentity).

-TGG

For my purposes (mobile "sub-worlds" or "meta-worlds"), rendering with a client event seems preferable and was used successfully in 1.12.2.

My first idea for initializing a buffer has no compiler errors and is written as follows.

IRenderTypeBuffer buffer = IRenderTypeBuffer.getImpl(Tessellator.getInstance().getBuffer());

Does this look correct so far?

Howdy

I've never done that yet but based on Vanilla, yes it looks about right

IRenderTypeBuffer buffer = IRenderTypeBuffer.getImpl(Tessellator.getInstance().getBuffer());
// set up your render settings
// do your render
buffer.finish();

perhaps wrapped in

RenderSystem.pushMatrix(); 
RenderSystem.popMatrix();

-TGG

Thanks for the help so far!

I was able to render an obsidian block in the world. However, it moves around strangely whenever I stand on a block next to it and sneak or more noticeably if I view it from third person.

The code for the RenderWorldLastEvent that renders the block:

Spoiler

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(Dist.CLIENT)
public class ClientEvents
{
	@SuppressWarnings("deprecation")
	@SubscribeEvent
	public static void renderWorldLastEvent(RenderWorldLastEvent event)
	{
		if(event.getPhase() != EventPriority.NORMAL)
			return;

Entity entity = Minecraft.getInstance().getRenderViewEntity();

if(entity == null)
			return;

double x = entity.lastTickPosX + (entity.getPosX() - entity.lastTickPosX) * (double) event.getPartialTicks();
		double y = entity.lastTickPosY + (entity.getPosY() - entity.lastTickPosY) * (double) event.getPartialTicks();
		double z = entity.lastTickPosZ + (entity.getPosZ() - entity.lastTickPosZ) * (double) event.getPartialTicks();

MinecraftServer server = Minecraft.getInstance().getIntegratedServer();
		World world = DimensionManager.getWorld(server, DimensionType.OVERWORLD, false, true);
		MatrixStack matrixStack = event.getMatrixStack();
		BlockRendererDispatcher blockRendererDispatcher = Minecraft.getInstance().getBlockRendererDispatcher();

BlockState blockState = Blocks.OBSIDIAN.getDefaultState();

Impl renderTypeBuffer = IRenderTypeBuffer.getImpl(Tessellator.getInstance().getBuffer());

matrixStack.push();
		matrixStack.translate(-x, -y + 128.0, -z);

RenderType renderType = RenderTypeLookup.getRenderType(blockState);
		blockRendererDispatcher.renderModel(blockState, new BlockPos(0, 128, 0), world, matrixStack, renderTypeBuffer.getBuffer(renderType), false, world.getRandom());

matrixStack.pop();

renderTypeBuffer.finish();
    }
}

Two screenshots of the rendered block from first and third person perspectives (with a normal diamond block for reference):

Spoiler

mDyrEc1.png

s4WkVN8.png

Edited by nanorover59

Sorry, I have no clue about that, it sounds to me like MatrixStack is changing its transformation based on what the player is doing, unlike the various other world rendering (blocks, entities, etc) where it's tied to the world x,y,z.

You could try tracing through the vanilla render code and/or inspecting the MatrixStack (using a breakpoint) to see what is going on, it may be hard work...

Williewillus may know- see here https://gist.github.com/williewillus/353c872bcf1a6ace9921189f6100d09a

... since this looks promising...

Your world renderers (RenderWorldLastEvent) look weird? give this a read: https://discordapp.com/channels/313125603924639766/454376090362970122/588257071812837376

Unfortunately the link appears to be busted.

If you comment on that gist (s)he may reply, has been pretty responsive in the past

-TGG

9 hours ago, nanorover59 said:

Thanks for the help so far!

I was able to render an obsidian block in the world. However, it moves around strangely whenever I stand on a block next to it and sneak or more noticeably if I view it from third person.

The code for the RenderWorldLastEvent that renders the block:

Hide contents

{
	@SubscribeEvent
	{
			return;

Entity entity = Minecraft.getInstance().getRenderViewEntity();

if(entity == null)
			return;

double x = entity.lastTickPosX + (entity.getPosX() - entity.lastTickPosX) * (double) event.getPartialTicks();
		double y = entity.lastTickPosY + (entity.getPosY() - entity.lastTickPosY) * (double) event.getPartialTicks();
		double z = entity.lastTickPosZ + (entity.getPosZ() - entity.lastTickPosZ) * (double) event.getPartialTicks();

World world = DimensionManager.getWorld(server, DimensionType.OVERWORLD, false, true);
		BlockRendererDispatcher blockRendererDispatcher = Minecraft.getInstance().getBlockRendererDispatcher();

Impl renderTypeBuffer = IRenderTypeBuffer.getImpl(Tessellator.getInstance().getBuffer());

matrixStack.push();
		matrixStack.translate(-x, -y + 128.0, -z);

RenderType renderType = RenderTypeLookup.getRenderType(blockState);
		blockRendererDispatcher.renderModel(blockState, new BlockPos(0, 128, 0), world, matrixStack, renderTypeBuffer.getBuffer(renderType), false, world.getRandom());

matrixStack.pop();

}
}

Two screenshots of the rendered block from first and third person perspectives (with a normal diamond block for reference):

Hide contents

mDyrEc1.png

s4WkVN8.png

I had a very similar problem. What fixes it is replacing

with

Vec3d projectedView = Minecraft.getInstance().gameRenderer.getActiveRenderInfo().getProjectedView();
        matrixStack.translate(-projectedView.x, -projectedView.y+128, -projectedView.z);

(replacing the old matrixStack.translate call in the proper place obviously)

When I had it using .getPartialTicks(), my rendering disappeared while I was moving. Not sure the technical reason behind this, but switching to projectedView works.

works.png

Edited by Contomman

I tried the other way of getting view point coordinates and it works now!

One issue still remains, which is that the east, west, and bottom sides of the block appear slightly darker than the other sides. This lighting behavior is not visible on normal obsidian blocks.

Edited by nanorover59

58 minutes ago, nanorover59 said:

I tried the other way of getting view point coordinates and it works now!

One issue still remains, which is that the east, west, and bottom sides of the block appear slightly darker than the other sides. This lighting behavior is not visible on normal obsidian blocks.

Im not quite sure how do do that either, im working on a different bit of my mod right now, but I know if you look at the code for defining the RenderType you can give it variables for lighting (there is one called lightmap), but I havent tried changing it yet. That part of the code doesnt seem to be fully mapped out yet, even on the latest mappings, so there is still alot of obfuscated variables. Let me know If you get it working. Ill message you if I ever get that far.

Edited by Contomman

I was able to fix that final issue with lighting by iterating through all of the block render types.

The "block" now looks exactly like a normal obsidian block in the world!

From past experience, tile entities should be somewhat simpler to render because of their dedicated rendering functions that can be invoked.

For anyone curious about rendering blocks this way, here is the final client event handler code:

{
	@SuppressWarnings({ "resource" })
	@SubscribeEvent
	{
			return;

// Get instances of the classes required for a block render.

// Get the projected view coordinates.
		Vec3d projectedView = Minecraft.getInstance().gameRenderer.getActiveRenderInfo().getProjectedView();

// Choose obsidian as the arbitrary block.

// Begin rendering the block.	

renderBlock(matrixStack, renderTypeBuffer, world, blockState, new BlockPos(0, 128, 0), projectedView, new Vec3d(0.0, 128.0, 0.0));

}

public static void renderBlock(MatrixStack matrixStack, Impl renderTypeBuffer, World world, BlockState blockState, BlockPos logicPos, Vec3d projectedView, Vec3d renderCoordinates)
	{
		int i = OverlayTexture.NO_OVERLAY;

matrixStack.push();
		matrixStack.translate(-projectedView.x + renderCoordinates.x, -projectedView.y + renderCoordinates.y, -projectedView.z + renderCoordinates.z);

for(RenderType renderType : RenderType.getBlockRenderTypes())
		{
            if(RenderTypeLookup.canRenderInLayer(blockState, renderType))
            	blockRendererDispatcher.getBlockModelRenderer().renderModel(world, blockRendererDispatcher.getModelForState(blockState), blockState, logicPos, matrixStack, renderTypeBuffer.getBuffer(renderType), true, new Random(), blockState.getPositionRandom(logicPos), i);
		}

matrixStack.pop();
	}
}

Thanks for all of the support on this somewhat complex topic!