Please Help

Salty

My son is Autistic and I know nothing about Minecraft. He has purchased a gaming pc. Now can someone please help. He has purchased Minecraft for Windows 10 and he is trying to get Forge? For Mods. I do not have a clue what to do or how to do it. All help and advice appreciated 

Edited by Salty
wrong spelling

If the version of Minecraft is the actual Windows 10/Bedrock edition of Minecraft (purchased through the Windows 10 Store I believe), then you cannot use forge with it.

Forge is for the Java version of Minecraft, which is available from www.minecraft.net

Hope this helps clear things up!

There are a few options for obtaining mods.

- Twitch launcher: the twitch launcher is probably the easiest way to get mods, but it is also prone to running into errors. You can get it from https://www.twitch.tv/downloads

- Manually: a little more complicated, but more stable.

Download forge from files.minecraftforge.net (I would get the latest version, when you click the download link, ignore EVERYTHING on the next page until you see a button in the top right corner say "Skip", then click that, and you will get your download.) The installer should be double-clickable to run it, if not come back here for more help :)

After installing forge, you may need to create a new installation to use it. https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/360034754852-Changing-game-versions- for more information on creating installations. I would advise using a new folder for each version/set of mods you want to use, that way you won't accidentally ruin any existing worlds. If you don't care about that, you can just use the default one.

Once you've done that, you can find mods at https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods. Just make sure you get them for the correct version of the game (currently we only support 1.14.4 and 1.15.2, so using any versions lower than that and we can't help you out). If you see a modPACK on curseforge, they require the twitch launcher I mentioned above.

Regular mods will come as .jar files, and need to be placed in the mods folder of your chosen game directory. By default, this is %APPDATA%\.minecraft\mods

*edit: Also, side note, I would not download mods from ANYWHERE else besides where I have mentioned. It is common practice for websites to steal mods and repost them for download, using old versions, and sometimes even tampered with mods containing viruses or spyware. Stick to curseforge/twitch and you should be fine. :)

Give it a try, hope this helps!

Edited by Ugdhar

I tried the manual way to do this and everything was going great. When it came to playing the mods it came up with Warning, game already running. so we tried to start it and it would not do anything

Okay, so close Minecraft completely. Then open the Minecraft launcher and go to the Installations tab. Click on the "New" button and click on the "Version" bar to open the dropdown to select a version. If you scroll allllll the way down, you should find a version named "release-[mcversion]-Forge-[forgeversion]-[mcversion]", where [mcversion] is the version of Minecraft you're playing on and [forgeversion] is the version of Forge you're using. Select it in the dropdown, then give your profile a name and click, "Create."

The reason for doing this is that Forge adds something that essentially functions like a new version of Minecraft, but with all the Forge capabilities. This is done to allow you to play on vanilla even if you have Forge installed (most servers are vanilla and will not accept a connection to anything running Forge, and you might also want to play regular Minecraft). So you'll need to create a new launcher profile with the Forge "version" of Minecraft to play with your mods loaded.