[1.15.2] [Solved] Stuck while loading custom dimension

Budschie

So, I recently tried to add a dimension. But when I try to teleport to it with a command,

it will get stuck, without any log output. I also have a feeling that I didin't register my dimension stuff properly.

DimensionInit.java:

Spoiler

package de.budschie.deepnether.dimension;

import de.budschie.deepnether.main.References;
import net.minecraft.world.dimension.DimensionType;
import net.minecraftforge.common.DimensionManager;
import net.minecraftforge.common.ModDimension;
import net.minecraftforge.event.world.RegisterDimensionsEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod.EventBusSubscriber;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.ObjectHolder;

@EventBusSubscriber(bus = Bus.FORGE, modid = References.MODID)
public class DimensionInit
{
	@ObjectHolder(References.MODID + ":deepnether_dim")
	public static final ModDimension DEEPNETHER_MOD_DIM = null;

public static DimensionType DIMENSION_TYPE_DEEPNETHER = null;

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void onDimensionRegistry(RegisterDimensionsEvent event)
	{
		if (DimensionType.byName(DeepnetherModDimension.MOD_DIM_RL) == null)
		{
			DIMENSION_TYPE_DEEPNETHER = DimensionManager.registerDimension(DeepnetherModDimension.MOD_DIM_RL, DEEPNETHER_MOD_DIM, null, false);
		}
	}
}

ModDimensionInit.java:

Spoiler

package de.budschie.deepnether.dimension;

import de.budschie.deepnether.main.References;
import net.minecraftforge.common.ModDimension;
import net.minecraftforge.event.RegistryEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod.EventBusSubscriber;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus;

@EventBusSubscriber(bus = Bus.MOD, modid = References.MODID)
public class ModDimensionInit
{
	@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerModDimension(RegistryEvent.Register<ModDimension> event)
	{
		event.getRegistry().registerAll(new DeepnetherModDimension().setRegistryName(DeepnetherModDimension.MOD_DIM_RL));
	}
}

CommandTpDim.java:

Spoiler

package de.budschie.deepnether.commands;

import com.mojang.brigadier.CommandDispatcher;
import com.mojang.brigadier.context.CommandContext;
import com.mojang.brigadier.exceptions.CommandSyntaxException;
import com.mojang.brigadier.tree.LiteralCommandNode;

import net.minecraft.command.CommandSource;
import net.minecraft.command.Commands;
import net.minecraft.command.arguments.DimensionArgument;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.ServerPlayerEntity;
import net.minecraft.util.text.StringTextComponent;
import net.minecraft.world.dimension.DimensionType;

public class CommandTpDim
{
	public static void registerCommandTpDim(CommandDispatcher<CommandSource> dispatcher)
	{
		LiteralCommandNode<CommandSource> literalcommandnode = dispatcher.register(Commands.literal("tpdim").requires((p_198740_0_) -> {
	         return p_198740_0_.hasPermissionLevel(2);
	      }).then(Commands.argument("dim", new DimensionArgument()).executes((cmd) ->
			{
				return teleportToDimension(cmd);
			})
		));

}

private static int teleportToDimension(CommandContext<CommandSource> cmdContext)
	{
		try
		{
			ServerPlayerEntity player = cmdContext.getSource().asPlayer();
			player.changeDimension(cmdContext.getArgument("dim", DimensionType.class));

} catch (CommandSyntaxException e)
		{
			cmdContext.getSource().sendErrorMessage(new StringTextComponent(e.getMessage()));
		}

return 0;
	}
}
Edited by Budschie

My guess is that you just used the standard Minecraft Teleporter assuming that it works for all dimensions. Note: you can't do that as the teleporter handles logic specifically for teleporting to and from the nether. My knowledge on the matter however is a bit outdated. However, you can verify this by debugging your code at the method you have selected and watch it return null.

• Like 1

Well, now I teleport with this code:

ServerWorld worldnew = DeepnetherMain.server.getWorld(cmdContext.getArgument("dim", DimensionType.class));

player.teleport(worldnew, player.getPosX(), player.getPosY(), player.getPosZ(), player.rotationYaw, player.rotationPitch);

but I will still get stuck.

22 minutes ago, Budschie said:

Well, now I teleport with this code:

ServerWorld worldnew = DeepnetherMain.server.getWorld(cmdContext.getArgument("dim", DimensionType.class));

player.teleport(worldnew, player.getPosX(), player.getPosY(), player.getPosZ(), player.rotationYaw, player.rotationPitch);

but I will still get stuck.

Why don't you just use forge setdimension ingame?

• Thanks 1

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong while registering my dimension. If I try to teleport to my dimension on the client, it "works", but gets stuck. On the server, my dimension isn't even shown in the autocomplete of the /forge setdimension command.

Edited by Budschie

50 minutes ago, Budschie said:

I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong while registering my dimension. If I try to teleport to my dimension on the client, it "works", but gets stuck. On the server, my dimension isn't even shown in the autocomplete of the /forge setdimension command.

Try usingDeferedRegister, it'll most likely fix all your problems.

Edited by Novârch

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

1 minute ago, Budschie said:

Thanks. But how do I use the DeferredRegister with dimensions?

Here's an example of how I did it in my mod. 

Side note: you can use DimensionManager.registerOrGetDimension instead of checking for the dimensiontype by name being null.

Have you tried setting breakpoints, stepping through the code, and seeing where the code execution gets stuck?

Just now, Budschie said:

@Ugdhar It gets stuck after the dimension is initialized and after the chunk generator is created. Some network stuff can also be processed and recieved on the main thread.

If you keep stepping through it, do you get to an endless loop or something? I mean, doing that should show you exactly where in the code it's getting stuck. I'm guessing something is null, or there's a loop that never meets its exist condition or something.

And I figured you weren't getting a crash since you mentioned that it got stuck. :)

You should push this to a github so that people can see updated code as you change things, and see the big picture.

For instance, we have no dimension code, and can't see the resource location of the dimension. Sometimes something that appears unrelated might have something to do with the problem, that's why when I have an issue I always share all my code, I figure since I'm asking for help, what do I know what code is relevant or not? :D

• Like 1

Just now, Budschie said:

@Ugdhar I sadly have no github.

It's free, there's no reason to not have one! And it's so helpful. Not to mention if you're not using git, you should start, because its awesome. Here are some links that may help you get started, don't be scared!

https://github.com/

https://readwrite.com/2013/09/30/understanding-github-a-journey-for-beginners-part-1/

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/using-branches

6 hours ago, Budschie said:

@Novârch

Thats a bit long. You can do this shorter:

public static final RegistryObject<ModDimension> D4C_DIMENSION = DIMENSIONS.register("d4c_dimension", D4CDimensionType::new);

Congratulations, you shortened my code by TWO CHARACTERS.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Budschie said:

@Ugdhar I think I have now set up my github repo, please tell me if I did

something wrong. Link: https://github.com/Budschie/Deepnether-Mod

Hmm, where are you registering your DimensionType? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and based on the first post it was supposed to be in DimensionInit.

Also, I noticed there are still a few references to examplemod in your mods.toml and build.gradle, don't forget to change them to reference deepnether :)

19 minutes ago, Budschie said:

@Ugdhar Thanks. How do I register my DimensionType with a deferred register?

On 5/13/2020 at 1:01 PM, Novârch said:
On 5/13/2020 at 12:59 PM, Budschie said:

Thanks. But how do I use the DeferredRegister with dimensions?

Here's an example of how I did it in my mod.