[1.15.2] How do I add a new KeyBinding?

I'm making a mod that adds in controls for abilities that can be activated when you're wearing a certain piece of armor (e.g. pressing the chestplate_ability key while wearing the Muteki Chestplate will give you Strength V for 30 seconds). I want 5 controls: One for each piece of armor individually and one for every applicable piece at once. For this reason, I'm trying to instantiate instances of KeyBinding. However, I have no idea what I'm doing and cannot find a tutorial for 1.15.2. Could someone explain to me what I'm supposed to do or link me to a tutorial?

It should appear in the controls menu by default. I just verified this using:

public static final KeyBinding TEST = new KeyBinding("key.test", KeyConflictContext.UNIVERSAL, InputMappings.Type.KEYSYM, GLFW.GLFW_KEY_J, "key.categories.test");

private void clientSetup(final FMLClientSetupEvent event) {
		ClientRegistry.registerKeyBinding(TEST);
}

• 11 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 7:37 PM, ChampionAsh5357 said:

It should appear in the controls menu by default. I just verified this using:

public static final KeyBinding TEST = new KeyBinding("key.test", KeyConflictContext.UNIVERSAL, InputMappings.Type.KEYSYM, GLFW.GLFW_KEY_J, "key.categories.test");

private void clientSetup(final FMLClientSetupEvent event) {
		ClientRegistry.registerKeyBinding(TEST);
}

How can I do something with it? Like how can I run Code when this key is pressed?

• 7 months later...
On 5/15/2021 at 7:04 AM, diesieben07 said:

Make your own thread.

Sorry if this is necroposting but I have the keybind set up (mind you this is on .1.18 so I'm using the new KeyMapping rather than KeyBinding) But I don't quite understand how to make it be changeable in the Minecraft settings menu? I assumed it would be changeable after registering it but it's not and I don't get how to set it to be there.

Code (sorry it's sloppy I'm just testing proof of concept, for now, I plan to clean it up later)

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber
public class KeyBindHandler {

private static final KeyMapping MenuKey = new KeyMapping("key.menu", KeyConflictContext.UNIVERSAL, InputConstants.Type.KEYSYM, GLFW.GLFW_KEY_H, KeyMapping.CATEGORY_GAMEPLAY);

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void registerKeyBinds (FMLClientSetupEvent e) {
        ClientRegistry.registerKeyBinding(MenuKey);
    }

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void onKeyPress (InputEvent.KeyInputEvent e) {
        if (MenuKey.isDown()) {
            MenuUI.open();
        }
    }
}

to be clear everything works, I can press h and open my GUI and use it the only thing is it cant be changed in the menu.

Edit: lol I'm an idiot ignore me. Turns out i have to use the right event bus weird how that works huh *facepalm*

so anyways I used a nested class and changed the event busses so that the ClientSetupEvent was under a MOD event bus and the KeyInputEvent was under a FORGE event bus and problem solved.

Edited by Koolade446