[1.15.2] (SOLVED) How to check certain blocks in the world and break them

Hi,

I've created a chainsaw item. Its salient feature is that if the block it just destroyed is a log, it iterates through every block above the block destroyed and destroys it, until it encounters a block besides a log. (I'm overriding onBlockDestroyed to do this.) What I need to know is, how do I check the block at a specific position, and how do I break it as if the player had just broken it (making it drop things, etc.)?

Edit: SOLVED by looking at vanilla code.

Edited by TheThorneCorporation

I wonder if there is some kind of ... Block....Position varaible passed to your item through one of the various methods related to breaking blocks...

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

1 hour ago, Draco18s said:

I wonder if there is some kind of ... Block....Position varaible passed to your item through one of the various methods related to breaking blocks...

I do have access to a BlockPos variable, I'm just not sure what to do with it. Should I pass it to the World in some sort of method? Should I operate on it directly? Is the method I'm looking for one of those methods that doesn't have an MCP name yet? And once I've checked the block, how do I break it? I don't want to just replace it with air, and I'm sure there's a method that allows me to spawn in the drops.

Here's what I have so far.

public boolean onBlockDestroyed(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, BlockState state, BlockPos pos, LivingEntity entityLiving) {
		if (!worldIn.isRemote && state.getBlockHardness(worldIn, pos) != 0.0F) {
			stack.damageItem(1, entityLiving, (p_220038_0_) -> {
				p_220038_0_.sendBreakAnimation(EquipmentSlotType.MAINHAND);
				});
			}
		if(!worldIn.isRemote) {
			BlockPos otherPos = pos.up();
			boolean notEncounteredNonLog = true;
			do {
				Block block = /*can't find a suitable expression to check the block at otherPos*/;
				if(block.isIn(BlockTags.LOGS)) {
					//destroy the block found
					otherPos = otherPos.up();
				}
				else {
					notEncounteredNonLog = false;
				}
			} while(notEncounteredNonLog);
		}
		return true;
	}

Edited by TheThorneCorporation

World#getBlockState()

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.