what software do i use to develop mods for 1.15.2

Aflac

Before you try following any of the tutorials suggested above, I would like to point out how important it is that you either know Java, or know a similar programming language.

You will have a Bad Time trying to make mods without some programming experience, and will quickly become frustrated if you do not know basic things like extending a class or overriding a method.

You will need a JDK https://adoptopenjdk.net/ (I would get the Java 8 hotspot)

You will also need an IDE; Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA are the 2 most popular. Which is "best" is subjective and personal experience.

Once you have those 2 things, start googling "learn java" and/or "java tutorials". You will probably be making stupid useless little programs to begin with, but we all started there at some point.

I would work on Java for at least a week, then try following one of the tutorials mentioned. If you have no clue what any of the code means, then go back to Java and keep working on it, perhaps with a focus on the things you didn't understand following the forge tutorials.

You won't be making awesome mods overnight, but if you really WANT to make mods, all the information is out there, you just have to learn some stuff :)

Of course, this is all provided you don't already know Java. I was just guessing since your original question seemed to come from an area of inexperience.

17 hours ago, Ugdhar said:

Before you try following any of the tutorials suggested above, I would like to point out how important it is that you either know Java, or know a similar programming language.

You will have a Bad Time trying to make mods without some programming experience, and will quickly become frustrated if you do not know basic things like extending a class or overriding a method.

You will need a JDK https://adoptopenjdk.net/ (I would get the Java 8 hotspot)

You will also need an IDE; Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA are the 2 most popular. Which is "best" is subjective and personal experience.

Once you have those 2 things, start googling "learn java" and/or "java tutorials". You will probably be making stupid useless little programs to begin with, but we all started there at some point.

I would work on Java for at least a week, then try following one of the tutorials mentioned. If you have no clue what any of the code means, then go back to Java and keep working on it, perhaps with a focus on the things you didn't understand following the forge tutorials.

You won't be making awesome mods overnight, but if you really WANT to make mods, all the information is out there, you just have to learn some stuff :)

Of course, this is all provided you don't already know Java. I was just guessing since your original question seemed to come from an area of inexperience.

im famililiar with lua, python and html. so, what is where i program the mod?

2 hours ago, Aflac said:

im famililiar with lua, python and html. so, what is where i program the mod?

Follow one of the tutorials suggested above. I would recommend this one: https://cadiboo.github.io/tutorials/1.15.2/forge/, as it goes through the setting up of the workspace.

I personally use Eclipse for modding, but most Java IDEs that support Gradle should work fine. You can even mod with a text editor if you want (I definitely wouldn't recommend it though).

Java is quite structurally and syntactically different from Python and Lua (and HTML isn't a programming language), but if you are familiar with programming concepts then you should be good to go.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.