[1.15.2] - Custom Structure Gen from NBT

ModMCdl

Hello,

Back in 1.12.2, I used to implement structure gen via creating .nbt files from structure blocks. Upon researching how to do this in 1.15 and peeking into the code myself,

a). Asking how to do this I get replies telling me that I shouldn't do that and just create my structure in "small, hard-coded fragments and string them together" or that "it hasn't been done yet, and figure it out yourself." ... I refuse to believe that these are the only solutions.
b). Looking at the source, it does look mostly hard-coded and its also obfuscated to high heaven, even after updating my mappings to the latest stable snapshot.

I don't like to come to this forum not knowing anything on a certain topic, but right now I'm kinda stuck. I've been working around this problem for weeks, getting everything else I needed to done before tackling this. And so I ask: Does anyone have any examples of implementing and generating NBT structures in 1.15?

Follow these rules when talking to me, and we'll get along fine.

1).I know Java fairly well. I don't know as much about modding. They are not the same, don't compare them.

2). I consider myself to always be learning. I make mistakes, you make mistakes. Who doesn't?

3). Insult me, and I will leave the thread. I have a real life, I don't have time to throw petty insults in a Minecraft Modding forum.

ModMCdl - Co-Founder and Director of Design for Artemis Game Studios

On 6/4/2020 at 12:14 PM, Budschie said:

I think I have done something like that.

You can look into my github: https://github.com/Budschie/Deepnether-Mod/tree/master/src/main/java/de/budschie/deepnether/structures

On 6/4/2020 at 12:18 PM, Budschie said:

The advantage of my code compared to the structure block is that it has no theoratical block cap.

First, sorry for being late to reply, a few things came up and got in the way. 

Second, while your way works for your case, I can't seem to derive how you are implementing the NBTs that a structure block outputs and generating them. Your second comment suggests that's not actually what you've done. 

To clarify, I already have all of the structures in NBT form from structure blocks, and I'm trying to load them in. Not looking for a "better way," looking for a way to work with what I already have, because I'm sure its possible. Thanks in advance!

Edited by ModMCdl

1).I know Java fairly well. I don't know as much about modding. They are not the same, don't compare them.

2). I consider myself to always be learning. I make mistakes, you make mistakes. Who doesn't?

3). Insult me, and I will leave the thread. I have a real life, I don't have time to throw petty insults in a Minecraft Modding forum.

5 hours ago, ModMCdl said:

Second, while your way works for your case, I can't seem to derive how you are implementing the NBTs that a structure block outputs and generating them. Your second comment suggests that's not actually what you've done. 

I'm not using a structure block to save the files. I'm using commands and a right click event. But overall, the right click event etc. is very badly written, and when my mod will be released, those classes will be deleted, and the structures will be put into the mod jar.

7 hours ago, Budschie said:

I'm not using a structure block to save the files. I'm using commands and a right click event. But overall, the right click event etc. is very badly written, and when my mod will be released, those classes will be deleted, and the structures will be put into the mod jar.

So then, unfortunately, your method does not apply to my situation. ? I have used a structure block to save the files, and wish to have those be loaded in. I know this is possible, but do not know how to do it.

14 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

I was messing with this a little myself, and made a little test thingy while I was playing with it.

https://github.com/Ugdhar/structest

Thank you! I think this was exactly what I was looking for. I'm surprised your own forum post that you linked in the readme didn't turn up in my searches, it would have been quite helpful!