Playerdata how?

Slastic

How can I store a list of coordinates (BlockPos) and String name, for each individual player globally.

What would be a simple way of doing this?

Does this require The Capability System, if so -- how would you use it for this?

https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/datastorage/capabilities/

I'm newbie,

Help is appreciated 

Edited by Slastic

18 hours ago, Slastic said:

globally

Just make either a static list or a HashMap. What's your use case, knowing it will help.

18 hours ago, Slastic said:

String name

DO NOT do this, vanilla did this with Ender pearls up to 1.13 and it lead to major exploits, what if a player changes their name?

Instead use the player's UUID (PlayerEntitygetUniqueId).

Edit: Use a HashMap, just used one for my own mod, here's a link to the class where I use it, in my case I'm storing a PlayerEntity as the key and a DimensionType as the value, then I'm using the values to teleport each player to their corresponding dimension.

Edited by Novârch

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

Thanks much I will try this out, may need help though

One question is how would you put data into the list, for example (onBlockActivated) data like pos.

Then how would you be able to select a specific item (using the index value, from it)

I have a UI that has 10 buttons, click the first button it will select the first index from the hashmap

Hope that made some sense, and that I'm not mistaken

Edited by Slastic

22 hours ago, Slastic said:

for each individual player

To get a value from a HashMap you need a key, in my case a PlayerEntity, if you want to store a BlockPos for each individual player then you will make a HashMap with PlayerEntity as the key and BlockPos as the value (HashMap<PlayerEntity, BlockPos>), then you will get the BlockPos by calling HashMap#get with your player as the parameter.

Edited by Novârch

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

TotemPos.get(playerIn).add(pos.getX(), pos.getY(), pos.getZ());

So I would add to it like this, right?

The list HashMap is registered as told

public static HashMap<PlayerEntity, BlockPos> TotemPos = new HashMap<>();

Edited by Slastic

10 minutes ago, Slastic said:

TotemPos.get(playerIn).add(pos.getX(), pos.getY(), pos.getZ());

So I would add to it like this, right?

The list HashMap is registered as told

public static HashMap<PlayerEntity, BlockPos> TotemPos = new HashMap<>();

No, use HashMap#put, please read up on HashMaps, they're really useful. Think of the PlayerEntity as the index of the BlockPos, HashMaps don't have normal indexes, try printing out a HashMaps's values and you'll get an order different then the order you added them in.

What is it that you are trying to do?
Describe it as what the player sees, not your attempt to code it.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

There is a totem block, when you right click it - onBlockActivated() - it will show a gui with a button that says bind totem.

If they bind it, it will show another gui, this gui will show a list of all bound totems

Lastly when you press totem 1 for example it will tp you to the first one you bounded.

Hopefully that made sense

Here is what adds buttons to teleport to totems

Spoiler

@Override
    public void init() {
        super.init();
        this.buttons.clear();

int heightOffset = 75;
        int index = 0;

for (int i = 0; i <  7 /* List Length*/ ; i++) {
            Button(index = index + 1,  heightOffset = heightOffset - 25);
        }
    }

// Button
    void Button(int index, int heightOffset) {
      // Teleport
        this.addButton(new Button(this.width / 2 - 85, this.height - (this.height / 2) - 10 - heightOffset, 150, 20, "Totem - " + index, (button) -> {
            System.out.println("Telelport - " + index);
        }));
      // Unbind Button - next to the first button
        this.addButton(new Button(this.width / 2 + 65, this.height - (this.height / 2) - 10 - heightOffset, 20, 20, "\u2715", (button) -> {
            System.out.println("unBounded - " + index);
        }));
    }

And onBlockActivated

Spoiler

@Override
    public ActionResultType onBlockActivated(BlockState state, World worldIn, BlockPos pos, PlayerEntity playerIn, Hand handIn, BlockRayTraceResult hit) {
        if (!worldIn.isRemote) {
            ItemStack itemIn = playerIn.getHeldItem(handIn);
            if (itemIn.getItem() == RegistryHandler.DREAD_MIRROR.get()) {
                DistExecutor.runWhenOn(Dist.CLIENT, () -> () -> Minecraft.getInstance().displayGuiScreen(new AddTotemScreen(new StringTextComponent("hi"))));
            }
        }
        return super.onBlockActivated(state, worldIn, pos, playerIn, handIn, hit);
    }

I'm aware my code properly has issues keep in mind that I'm new to this so don't expect this to be perfect

Thanks you have been great help

So what you need is a list of bound totems stored (in a capability) on each player.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

So do that then.