Move the vanilla server into a subdirectory

Crey

Hello there!

I accidentally started minecraft_server.1.12.2.jar instead of my start.bat and as expected the whole world was corrupted.

There were no recent backups (i dont know if you guys plan on doing such a thing as long as mods for that exist) so everything is gone which is pretty sad :(

To make sure this does not happen again, is it already possible to move the vanilla server into a subdirectory?

Otherwise i would suggest that feature to prevent that from happening to anyone again :)

• LexManos unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 6/21/2020 at 8:41 PM, LexManos said:

We've talked about this before, it would break a crapload of server hosts and just cause more drama on their end.

Maybe look for a "minecraft_server.jar" and if it is in the root directory load it from there. If it isn't look in a subfolder

Java ❤️ | Owner of MaschinenMC.net | Development Administrator at Cafestu.be | Austria 😍

4 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Unfortunately that is not how the server jar is loaded.

Well I don't have the time to look into Forge's Code but could you tell me the basics and why it is required?

Edited by MenschenToaster | David

Java ❤️ | Owner of MaschinenMC.net | Development Administrator at Cafestu.be | Austria 😍

As I said, this has NOTHING to do with Forge's code or how we build the classpath.

We could technically put the jar whever the hell we want.

This is wholy issues with SERVER HOSTS and other users.

And the drama/bitching that will come from it.

This is just a case of... don't be dumb and run the vanilla server...

Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do to mark the world as not loadable by the vanilla jar.

As it's not code we control so there isn't any way to add protections into it.

Many Many external things can corrupt your world.

• Like 2

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon