Custom Damage source in Forge 1.15.2

sccreeper

Here is my code so far, I have managed to make it give the potion effects to the entity (the poison effect does not do any damage). My problem is my custom damage sources are not working, they do not do any damage to the player with the item in their inventory. The identifier of the damage source is the same as the in game item, I'm not sure whether that is the problem. All this is inside my main mod class.

public static final DamageSource NOVICHOK_DAMAGE = new DamageSource("novichok");

@SubscribeEvent
public void onPlayerTick(TickEvent.PlayerTickEvent e) {

if (!e.player.world.isRemote) return;

if (e.player.inventory.hasItemStack(new ItemStack(RegistryHandler.NOVICHOK_RAW.get()))) {
        e.player.addPotionEffect(new EffectInstance(Effects.POISON, 1000, 5));
        e.player.addPotionEffect(new EffectInstance(Effects.NAUSEA, 1000, 5));
        if((e.player.getHealth()-0.05) < 0) {
            //e.player.

e.player.attackEntityFrom(NOVICHOK_DAMAGE, 1.0F);
        } else {
            //e.player.playSound();
            e.player.attackEntityFrom(NOVICHOK_DAMAGE, 1.0F);
        }

//e.player.setHealth((float) (e.player.getHealth()-0.05));
    } else {
        e.player.removeActivePotionEffect(Effects.POISON);
        e.player.removeActivePotionEffect(Effects.NAUSEA);
    }
}

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I have read the documentation but what excactly would I have to put in my

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = WeaponsMod.MOD_ID, bus = Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.MOD)

for it to be logical server side only. I have tried using Dist as a argument e.g

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = WeaponsMod.MOD_ID, bus = Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.MOD,dist=)

but am not sure what to pass for the dist argument. I have tried Dist.DEDICATED_SERVER but that does not make any sense to me as it seems it is referring to a dedicated server and it also results in a error in my IDE (IntelliJ) saying that it cannot resolve dist.

15 minutes ago, sccreeper said:

I have now tried value=Dist.DEDICATED_SERVER and value=Dist.CLIENT and it is still not working, I have also moved the code to a new events package to clean up my file structure.

To check if you're on the server use World#isRemote, if it returns false you're on the server, if it's true you're on the client.

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

Howdy

You might find this documentation-with-diagrams helpful:

logical sides (isRemote etc)

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-client-server-division-1144.html

dedicated server distribution vs client distribution (Dist.DEDICATED_SERVER etc)

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com/2020/02/minecraft-distributions-client-vs.html

I.e. there's nothing wrong with your @SubscribeEvent.  This line is the problem:

if (!e.player.world.isRemote) return;