1.15.2 Blockstate container question

Daniel Rollins

Hi,

I have created a container object to store items. I am looking to make it kind of like a shelf in real life (think texture changing based off of what slots are filled to show the item in that part of the shelf). My container only accepts certain items so I can have a texture for the empty shelf, one for the full shelf and use a multipart blockstate JSON to overlay the filled items (basically overlay a part of the filled shelf onto the empty shelf corresponding to the location of the item). The way I am attempting it is to create several blockstates (slot0, slot1, slot2, ...slot17) as boolean values. The problem I run into is that the game hangs on startup if I include all of the blockstates, but works fine if I only have a few. Is there a max number of blockstates a block can have? Is there a better way to do what I am trying to do?

Thanks

Edited by Daniel Rollins

18 shelf slots as booleans results in 262,144 total states for your block.

While the game does not enforce a maximum, this is still a lot.

I would suggest using an IDynamicBakedModel instead of the blockstate system.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Thank you. I didn't realize it kept every possible combination mapped, that would be huge. I'm looking into the IDynamicBakedModel now. Do you happen to know where I can find any documentation on it? So far I'm just finding different people's code but not really much explanation (probably just looking in the wrong place).