I really need help

ImpoliteSand868

Hello, I've found a mod that I really love.

More Player Models.

i need to know how to decompile it. and update it, I wont upload it to other sites or anything.

i know there are ways to decompile .class files and the deob thing where it makes more sense.

but how do I do these things to load it into eclipse and update it?

16 hours ago, Curle said:

Decompiling and changing a mod without the author's permission is against our "code of conduct", and is not encouraged.

There is a public git repo of MorePlayerModels here, but it is for 1.10.2 and you're on your own to update it.

Thanks Curl, I'll look up some tutorials for updating this, I love this mod, but it seems to of been forgotten, like, it doesn't even have 1.15.0 yet.

2 minutes ago, ImpoliteSand868 said:

how would I load it to eclipse?

So, there's a reason that IntelliJ is recommended: Eclipse's gradle implementation is less than ideal. If you're still interested in using eclipse, take a look at a tutorial on importing gradle projects in eclipse.
Just know that most of us use IntelliJ, so it's gonna be tough to find much specific information on using Eclipse with forge.

5 minutes ago, ImpoliteSand868 said:

now that I got it downloaded, how would I load it to eclipse? it is an intelliJ file(.iml)

I don't have intelliJ on my computer cause it takes up a lot of space, and so does eclipse.

but I've got eclipse right now.

If you can't figure out how to import an IntelliJ project into Eclipse on your own, I would hazard a guess that you have little business trying to 'update' a mod.
This is especially true if you are trying to port it from 1.10 to any modern version of Minecraft (1.13+) given the sheer amount of changes Forge and Minecraft have undergone during that time.

I'll double that; the Flattening and the complete rewrite of the Forge internals over the 1.13 interval means that rewriting a mod is a huge undertaking.

Let alone for someone with no prior experience.

It's worth just reinstalling IDEA. It'll make your life easier no matter what.

I'll triple that; the rendering has changed drastically in recent versions of Forge. It might be easier for you to rewrite the mod from scratch rather than updating it, which would require proper programming in Java (there is no "quick tools/ways" for updating mod, and videos on YouTube who claim they can "quickly" update any mod from any version is nonsense). There will be a lot of learning before you can successfully port the mod.

This is no discouragement though; we encourage you to learn modding and programming, and use your knowledge to port the mod.

After you are done with learning the basics, I would suggest checking out the model system of Forge: https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/1.15.x/models/introduction/.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

• 3 weeks later...