[1.16.1] Newer mappings file?

Thorgeig

The 1.16.1 modder download comes with a build.gradle that references 

mappings channel: 'snapshot', version: '20200514-1.16'

which is quite old and missing a lot of mappings, for example most of the mappings in Screen are gone.

Is there a newer version of the mappings? And if so, how do I find out without asking forum questions?

16 minutes ago, Thorgeig said:

The 1.16.1 modder download comes with a build.gradle that references 

mappings channel: 'snapshot', version: '20200514-1.16'

which is quite old and missing a lot of mappings, for example most of the mappings in Screen are gone.

Is there a newer version of the mappings? And if so, how do I find out without asking forum questions?

Why don't you just try to set the date on the mappings to today?

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

9 minutes ago, Novârch said:

Why don't you just try to set the date on the mappings to today?

That's not how that works.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

So that means there's no newer mapping at the moment. Fine with me, I'll wait a bit to update my mod.

Still, is there a way to get a list of currently available mappings? I've use https://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/de/oceanlabs/mcp/mcp_snapshot/, but that one only lists 1.15 files (I guess because it's a html file that's updated automatically but not when someone publishes a mapping manually) ?

5 hours ago, Draco18s said:

That's not how that works.

Of course it isn't, I meant that he should at least test it.

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

51 minutes ago, Novârch said:

Of course it isn't, I meant that he should at least test it.

Ok, but what if:

There isn't a mapping for today?
There isn't a new mapping every day, or even most days?

Shoving new dates in to "try" makes no sense. At least supply a location where the current mappings can be found.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

On 6/27/2020 at 12:10 AM, Curle said:

MCP is outdated and isn't used any more. We have a newer system in place.

See the Discord/IRC.

But now, the newest mappings are from mcpbot, right? And when mcpbot has 1.16 mappings I should prefer them, if I want newer mappings, right?

On 7/4/2020 at 9:41 AM, Maxi07 said:

But now, the newest mappings are from mcpbot, right? And when mcpbot has 1.16 mappings I should prefer them, if I want newer mappings, right?

MCPBot will not be getting 1.16 mappings. We are moving to a new system. Like I said. 

Edited by Curle

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 6:00 PM, Curle said:

MCPBot will not be getting 1.16 mappings. We are moving to a new system. Like I said. 

Which new system? Where can I see the mapping builds? I started porting to 1.16.2 today, where 20200514-1.16 is still used. It is a bit frustrating not to know where to get new mappings.

Mod Mappings Management System, MMMS.

AFAIK its not done yet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MSandro said:

Which new system? Where can I see the mapping builds? I started porting to 1.16.2 today, where 20200514-1.16 is still used. It is a bit frustrating not to know where to get new mappings.

Yes, thats weird. I figured out I can message the forge bot (forge-bot#9014) on discord with !mcpv and get the newest mappings I can use which is right now 20200723-1.16.1, but it seems like this is a non stable mapping and it is recommended to use the default mapping 20200514-1.16. But I use this mapping anyway and I have no problems.

It seems like this is not a normal mcp mapping from mcpbot but instead a modified version which I think is called mcpconfig (but I am not sure)

And the upcomming system is called MMMS / MMS (but I dont know what will be happening to mcp)

I want to hear more about the progress too

Edited by Maxi07

You're misunderstanding the system. MCP itself is dead, we took the mappings and tweaked the format to make MCPConfig, which provides Forge's SRG->MCP names.

mcpbot's purpose was to allow users to contribute to these MCPConfig mappings.

Unfortunately, mcpbot is unmaintained, and with the huge amounts of technical debt acquired, plus the maintainer/creator going dark for a while, we're making a new system to replace it.

That's what the Mod Mapping Management System is. It replaces mcpbot, which was designed to allow you to contribute to MCPConfig mappings.

The 20200723 release is official. It is recommended. It is not from mcpbot, it was made manually, by a Forge team member.

Hopefully this clears up some of your misconceptions of the system :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Curle said:

The 20200723 release is official. It is recommended. It is not from mcpbot, it was made manually, by a Forge team member.

Then why 20200723 is not the default in build.gradle?

And will there be another way to check for newer mapping besides discord?

Because we haven't updated the mdk yet.

Once MMMS lands, you can use that. It will export periodically automatically.

We may implement a system in ForgeGradle that tries to pull down new mappings every refresh, so that you don't have to worry about manually updating.

We'll see how it turns out.

For now, keep an eye on our Discord server.

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2020 at 3:16 PM, Curle said:

You can see the latest mappings in our Discord server, where updates on the system are posted regularly: https://discord.gg/UvedJ9m

In respect to your answer, but I'm unable to get required info, the link point just to a forest of information and not to a single info from where the mappings come from.

I forced an wrong mappings to see what's the target artifact

Error getting artifact: net.minecraftforge:forge:1.16.1-32.0.108_mapped_snapshot_20200515-1.16:null@jar from  MinecraftUserRepo

Is there a table of contents ?

net.minecraftforge:forge

eg, this works net.minecraftforge:forge:1.16.1-32.0.108_mapped_snapshot_20200515-1.16