[1.16.1] Custom tool type?

VaalAlves

How would i go about creating a new tool type?
I'm specifically trying to make a tool that would function like a pickaxe but only for certain blocks.
Thanks.

Edit:

Use ToolItem and use a Set variable for the effectiveBlocksIn parameter (create the variable before the ToolItem, not during.)

Edited by VaalAlves

3 minutes ago, VaalAlves said:

And how would i make the blocks drop items only if they're broken with said custom tool type?

You could copy the EFFECTIVE_ON field from AxeItem, ShovelItem or PickaxeItem and pass it into the ToolType constructor, or if you're super paranoid like me, use some reflection or AT's to get direct access to the field so you don't have to copy Mojang's code.

Edited by Novârch

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

49 minutes ago, Novârch said:

You could copy the EFFECTIVE_ON field from AxeItem, ShovelItem or PickaxeItem and pass it into the ToolType constructor, or if you're super paranoid like me, use some reflection or AT's to get direct access to the field so you don't have to copy Mojang's code.

I'm having some trouble understanding how the effectiveBlocksIn field of ToolItem works.

I know i'm supposed to put this

private static final Set<Block> field_150917_d_ = Sets.newHashSet(Blocks.WARPED_BUTTON);

(taken from AxeItem)
Here but i'm not sure how.

new ToolItem(0.0f, -2.8f, FossilsAndStuffItemMaterial.CRETACEOUS, /*HERE*/, new Item.Properties().group(FossilsAndStuff.TAB));

Thanks for the help.

4 minutes ago, VaalAlves said:

Here but i'm not sure how.

It's just a parameter, pass it in, but you can't directly reference the one in AxeItem as it's private, if you really don't want to copy it, 

1 hour ago, Novârch said:

if you're super paranoid like me, use some reflection or AT's to get direct access to the field so you don't have to copy Mojang's code.

Edited by Novârch

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

3 hours ago, Novârch said:

It's just a parameter, pass it in, but you can't directly reference the one in AxeItem as it's private, if you really don't want to copy it,

I guess my question is more like, what variable type do i use to pass the parameter (since it's my first time working with sets lol).
I've tried HashSet (where i had /*HERE*/ before)

new HashSet(Blocks.OAK_WOOD)

but that doesn't seem to work.
I guess i should also explain completely what i'm trying to do.
I'm adding a couple of blocks that only drop certain resources when mined with this new type tools.
If possible, could you please show me an example of a working ToolItem?
Thanks

Edited by VaalAlves

13 hours ago, VaalAlves said:

If possible, could you please show me an example of a working ToolItem?

private static final Set<Block> EFFECTIVE_ON = Sets.newHashSet(Blocks.OAK_PLANKS, Blocks.SPRUCE_PLANKS, Blocks.BIRCH_PLANKS)

Pretty much the same as in AxeItem, edited some stuff to avoid breaching Mojang's copyright. Remember that you need a class that extends ToolItem (at least in 1.15, but I don't think that changed in 1.16).

Edited by Novârch
  • Thanks 1

It seems like you are unfamiliar with Java. Please learn Java before making a mod (generics, inheritance, etc).

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

It seems like you are unfamiliar with Java. Please learn Java before making a mod (generics, inheritance, etc).

I'm not unfamiliar with java, i'm unfamiliar with minecraft modding.

I simply never used sets, never needed them since lists and arraylists exist.

If there was a javadoc, i wouldn't even be making a thread in the first place.

Sets are like arrays and lists, except they don't have an order, don't allow duplicates, and have no "positional" notation.

http://net-informations.com/java/cjava/list.htm

I'm not sure how you missed that when learning programming, as the comparison between a shopping list and a grab bag should have been made at some point.

• Thanks 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

44 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Sets are like arrays and lists, except they don't have an order, don't allow duplicates, and have no "positional" notation.

http://net-informations.com/java/cjava/list.htm

I'm not sure how you missed that when learning programming, as the comparison between a shopping list and a grab bag should have been made at some point.

My school did it in a pretty stupid way,  for the first year of my course the class was divided in half because there weren't enough computers in any room so those halves got different teachers, mine happened to have been terrible at teaching.

Thanks for pointing it out, made me realize all i had to do was create a variable before creating the tool instead of creating a variable on the spot.

6 hours ago, Novârch said:

private static final Set<Block> EFFECTIVE_ON = Sets.newHashSet(Blocks.OAK_PLANKS, Blocks.SPRUCE_PLANKS, Blocks.BIRCH_PLANKS)

Pretty much the same as in AxeItem, edited some stuff to avoid breaching Mojang's copyright. Remember that you need a class that extends ToolItem (at least in 1.15, but I don't think that changed in 1.16).

Thanks for all your help, i'll edit my post in case anyone searches with the same question as me.

Edited by VaalAlves

12 hours ago, VaalAlves said:

If there was a javadoc, i wouldn't even be making a thread in the first place.

The HashSet class is filled with Javadoc. I would suggest getting familiar with your IDE.

9 hours ago, VaalAlves said:

Thanks for pointing it out, made me realize all i had to do was create a variable before creating the tool instead of creating a variable on the spot.

If you are referring to passing the set into the constructor, then you can pass in a set directly (instead of creating a field). However this depends on if you are going to reuse it.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

The HashSet class is filled with Javadoc. I would suggest getting familiar with your IDE.

If you are referring to passing the set into the constructor, then you can pass in a set directly (instead of creating a field). However this depends on if you are going to reuse it.

I do intend on reusing it.
But i meant if forge had (up to date, even 1.15 didn't have them)javadocs though, not HashSet.
Granted, you can just use the "find usages" function but i didn't know about that.