[1.15.2] Registering a custom texture atlas' reload listener

Blazer Nitrox

As the title says.

A few months ago I had to mess around with creating my own texture atlas in order to render some GUI elements. A problem I ran into then, that didn't really fit the direction of the initial thread (which I'm also not really willing to necro at this point) is that despite the atlas registering itself as a reload listener with the texture manager, it doesn't get loaded at start up. It does, however, automatically reload any time a reload request is sent (either through changing resource packs or via F3+T). My interim solution was to simply request a reload in FMLLoadComplete. This is what we in the business call a "dumb solution."

So: Where am I supposed to be registering the reload listener? I've been doing it in FMLClientSetup, but that was apparently too late, and the texture manager had already loaded (and for some reason doesn't like auto-loading any listeners that get added when they're added). I tried doing it in ModelBake, but that was also too late it seems.
Near as I can tell, the TextureStitchEvent for each vanilla atlas is fired after FMLClientSetup, but before FMLLoadComplete.

All of my searching both here and across Google has turned up nothing. What am I missing here?

You would need to call a event that is handled in Minecraft's constructor. Do note that forge's event bus doesn't start until mod loading is completed meaning that it has to be called from somewhere on the mod event bus. The Lifecycle Events for creating and loading registries would work, but then we have to deal with it being fired specifically for the client. The easiest event to use is actually ParticleFactoryRegisterEvent. Do remember this is on your mod's event bus and only on the client side.

• Thanks 1

I... well, that worked. I'm not exactly a fan, but that worked. I'll have to dig into this a bit more and see if there isn't some way an event can be added for this kind of stuff, because despite what Google turned up I can't imagine I'm the only one doing this kind of thing, and doing it this way just... ew.