Sound Packet Issue

Reika

Today, someone reported an error with RotaryCraft:

2013-06-09 01:11:35 [iNFO] [sTDERR] java.io.IOException: Received string length longer than maximum allowed (36 > 32)
2013-06-09 01:11:35 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.network.packet.Packet.func_73282_a(Packet.java:223)
2013-06-09 01:11:35 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.network.packet.Packet62LevelSound.func_73267_a(SourceFile:34)
2013-06-09 01:11:35 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.network.packet.Packet.func_73272_a(Packet.java:170)
2013-06-09 01:11:35 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.network.TcpConnection.func_74447_i(TcpConnection.java:327)
2013-06-09 01:11:35 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.network.TcpConnection.func_74450_c(TcpConnection.java:547)
2013-06-09 01:11:35 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.network.TcpReaderThread.run(SourceFile:94)

Looking into the Sound Packet code, sure enough, the relevant sound name (including path) is longer than 32 characters, which appears to be a hardcoded limit with no logical reason.

How can I get around this without changing my sound names to useless references like "hg.ogg"?

My relevant code:

ELECTRIC("elecengine"),
WIND("windengine"),
STEAM("steamengine"),
CAR("gasengine"),
HYDRO("hydroengine"),
MICRO("microengine"),
JET("jetengine"),
KNOCKBACK("knockback"),
PULSEJET("pulsejet"),
PUMP("pump"),
PILEDRIVER("piledriver"),
SMOKE("smokealarm"),
SPRINKLER("sprinkler"),
FLYWHEEL("flywheel"),
PROJECTOR("projector"),
LOWBASS("basslo"),
BASS("bass"),
HIBASS("basshi"),
LOWHARP("harplo"),
HARP("harp"),
HIHARP("harphi"),
LOWPLING("plinglo"),
PLING("pling"),
HIPLING("plinghi"),
FRICTION("friction");

private static final String SOUND_FOLDER = "Reika/RotaryCraft/Sounds/";
private static final String SOUND_PREFIX = "Reika.RotaryCraft.Sounds.";
private static final String SOUND_DIR = "Sounds/";
private static final String SOUND_EXT = ".ogg";
private static final String MUSIC_FOLDER = "music/";
private static final String MUSIC_PREFIX = "music.";

public static void playSound(SoundRegistry s, World world, double x, double y, double z, float vol, float pitch) {
	if (FMLCommonHandler.instance().getEffectiveSide() != Side.SERVER)
		return;
	Packet62LevelSound p = new Packet62LevelSound(s.getPlayableReference(), x, y, z, vol, pitch);
	PacketDispatcher.sendPacketToAllInDimension(p, world.provider.dimensionId);
}

public String getPlayableReference() {
	if (this.isNote())
		return SOUND_PREFIX+MUSIC_PREFIX+name;
	return SOUND_PREFIX+name;
}

Worth noting is that this is only an issue in SMP - the integrated server has no issues with my extra-long sound packet names...

Shorten your sound prefix.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

Shorten your sound prefix.

That would require either mixing my sound files directly with my class files, and that would be very messy and hard to work with.

Is there no way to get around this limit? (And why does it even exist)?

You know the Sound Folder and the Sound Prefix you're defining are two different things!?

Also the limit exists because of the size of the packet which must be send when playing a sound.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

You know the Sound Folder and the Sound Prefix you're defining are two different things!?

Also the limit exists because of the size of the packet which must be send when playing a sound.

No from what I saw of the parser.

I managed to get around the limit, though, by sending custom-designed 250s.

As for the reason for the limit, no, as the limit is used only in sending the IO exception. I doubt I am allowed to post vanilla code here, but essentially it reads a packet with parameters (stream. int), and if (stream.readShort() > int), it crashes. Except that int is used nowhere else.