Issues with Sounds.json

AragoniteDragon

Hey all! I just started teaching my brother how to mod, but its my first time modding in 1.16 so I assume some things are different. I used some tutorials to update my code and it all seems fine but I've been getting an error once I added a texture along the lines of "net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocationException: Non [a-z0-9_.-] character in namespace of location: TheWorldOfShmowMod:sounds.json". I understand I'm not allowed to use certain characters in file names, but no such "Sounds.json" file exists in our mod (that we created) and I've never had an issue with this before ever. Anyone know whats up.

P.S. Im on windows 10 with IntelliJ if that helps

Full Error Log:

[21:31:10] [Render thread/INFO] [STDOUT/]: [net.minecraft.crash.CrashReport:makeCategoryDepth:233]: Negative index in crash report handler (11/15)
[21:31:12] [Render thread/FATAL] [minecraft/Minecraft]: Reported exception thrown!
net.minecraft.crash.ReportedException: Rendering overlay
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.GameRenderer.updateCameraAndRender(GameRenderer.java:489) ~[forge-1.16.1-32.0.74_mapped_snapshot_20200514-1.16-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runGameLoop(Minecraft.java:988) ~[forge-1.16.1-32.0.74_mapped_snapshot_20200514-1.16-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:587) ~[forge-1.16.1-32.0.74_mapped_snapshot_20200514-1.16-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:184) ~[forge-1.16.1-32.0.74_mapped_snapshot_20200514-1.16-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:55) ~[forge-1.16.1-32.0.74_mapped_snapshot_20200514-1.16-recomp.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37) [modlauncher-5.1.0.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:54) [modlauncher-5.1.0.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:72) [modlauncher-5.1.0.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:81) [modlauncher-5.1.0.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:65) [modlauncher-5.1.0.jar:?] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:105) [forge-1.16.1-32.0.74_mapped_snapshot_20200514-1.16-recomp.jar:?] {}
Caused by: net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocationException: Non [a-z0-9_.-] character in namespace of location: TheWorldOfShmowMod:sounds.json
    at net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation.<init>(ResourceLocation.java:31) ~[?:?] {re:classloading}
    at net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation.<init>(ResourceLocation.java:42) ~[?:?] {re:classloading}
    at net.minecraft.client.audio.SoundHandler.prepare(SoundHandler.java:59) ~[?:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.audio.SoundHandler.prepare(SoundHandler.java:34) ~[?:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.resources.ReloadListener.lambda$reload$0(ReloadListener.java:12) ~[?:?] {re:classloading}
    at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.run(CompletableFuture.java:1590) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.exec(CompletableFuture.java:1582) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:289) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1056) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1692) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
    at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:157) ~[?:1.8.0_221] {}
[21:31:12] [Render thread/INFO] [STDOUT/]: [net.minecraft.util.registry.Bootstrap:printToSYSOUT:127]: ---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// I bet Cylons wouldn't have this problem.

13 hours ago, AragoniteDragon said:

Caused by: net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocationException: Non [a-z0-9_.-] character in namespace of location: TheWorldOfShmowMod:sounds.json

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Sorry guys, but the mod id is all lower case with no spaces or banned characters... I actually have no clue why it's capitalised in the error

Caused by: net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocationException: Non [a-z0-9_.-] character in namespace of location: TheWorldOfShmowMod:sounds.json

but heres the main class:

@Mod("theworldofshmowmod")
public class MainModClass
{
    // Directly reference a log4j logger.
    private static final Logger LOGGER = LogManager.getLogger();
    public static final String MOD_ID = "theworldofshmowmod";

public MainModClass() {
        // Register the setup method for modloading
        FMLJavaModLoadingContext.get().getModEventBus().addListener(this::setup);
        // Register the enqueueIMC method for modloading
        FMLJavaModLoadingContext.get().getModEventBus().addListener(this::enqueueIMC);
        // Register the processIMC method for modloading
        FMLJavaModLoadingContext.get().getModEventBus().addListener(this::processIMC);
        // Register the doClientStuff method for modloading
        FMLJavaModLoadingContext.get().getModEventBus().addListener(this::doClientStuff);

RegistryHandler.init();

// Register ourselves for server and other game events we are interested in
        MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(this);
    }

private void setup(final FMLCommonSetupEvent event)
    {
        // some preinit code
        LOGGER.info("HELLO FROM PREINIT");
        LOGGER.info("DIRT BLOCK >> {}", Blocks.DIRT.getRegistryName());
    }

private void doClientStuff(final FMLClientSetupEvent event) {
        // do something that can only be done on the client
        LOGGER.info("Got game settings {}", event.getMinecraftSupplier().get().gameSettings);
    }

private void enqueueIMC(final InterModEnqueueEvent event)
    {
        // some example code to dispatch IMC to another mod
        InterModComms.sendTo("examplemod", "helloworld", () -> { LOGGER.info("Hello world from the MDK"); return "Hello world";});
    }

private void processIMC(final InterModProcessEvent event)
    {
        // some example code to receive and process InterModComms from other mods
        LOGGER.info("Got IMC {}", event.getIMCStream().
                map(m->m.getMessageSupplier().get()).
                collect(Collectors.toList()));
    }
    // You can use SubscribeEvent and let the Event Bus discover methods to call
    @SubscribeEvent
    public void onServerStarting(FMLServerStartingEvent event) {
        // do something when the server starts
        LOGGER.info("HELLO from server starting");
    }

// You can use EventBusSubscriber to automatically subscribe events on the contained class (this is subscribing to the MOD
    // Event bus for receiving Registry Events)
    @Mod.EventBusSubscriber(bus=Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.MOD)
    public static class RegistryEvents {
        @SubscribeEvent
        public static void onBlocksRegistry(final RegistryEvent.Register<Block> blockRegistryEvent) {
            // register a new block here
            LOGGER.info("HELLO from Register Block");
        }
    }
}

And heres the Registry Handler:

public class RegistryHandler {

public static final DeferredRegister<Item> ITEMS = DeferredRegister.create(ForgeRegistries.ITEMS, "theworldofshmowmod");

// Adds registered objects to the game.
    public static void init() {
        ITEMS.register(FMLJavaModLoadingContext.get().getModEventBus());
    }

// Items
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> STYGIAN_INGOT = ITEMS.register("stygian_ingot", ItemBase::new);

// Blocks

}

Edited by AragoniteDragon
Formatting

10 minutes ago, sciwhiz12 said:

Does your assets/<modid> folder have the capitalized namespace?

Nope it doesn't

P.S. I've never used IntelliJ before this, but whenever I change the modId in the code, it doesn't change the modId in the error message???

Edited by AragoniteDragon
Added post script

Show your asset folder(s)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

9 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Show your asset folder(s)

Here:

image.png.bca2edd55ad107b48c3f0503d914842a.png

mods.toml:

# The name of the mod loader type to load - for regular FML @Mod mods it should be javafml
modLoader="javafml" #mandatory
# A version range to match for said mod loader - for regular FML @Mod it will be the forge version
loaderVersion="[32,)" #mandatory This is typically bumped every Minecraft version by Forge. See our download page for lists of versions.
# A URL to refer people to when problems occur with this mod
issueTrackerURL="http://my.issue.tracker/" #optional
# A list of mods - how many allowed here is determined by the individual mod loader
[[mods]] #mandatory
# The modid of the mod
modId="theworldofshmowmod" #mandatory
# The version number of the mod - there's a few well known ${} variables useable here or just hardcode it
version="1.0" #mandatory
 # A display name for the mod
displayName="The World of Shmows" #mandatory
# A URL to query for updates for this mod. See the JSON update specification <here>
updateJSONURL="http://myurl.me/" #optional
# A URL for the "homepage" for this mod, displayed in the mod UI
displayURL="http://example.com/" #optional
# A file name (in the root of the mod JAR) containing a logo for display
logoFile="examplemod.png" #optional
# A text field displayed in the mod UI
credits="Thanks for this example mod goes to Java" #optional
# A text field displayed in the mod UI
authors="TheEmeraldNin_ja" #optional
# The description text for the mod (multi line!) (#mandatory)
description='''
Placeholder

'''
# A dependency - use the . to indicate dependency for a specific modid. Dependencies are optional.
[[dependencies.examplemod]] #optional
    # the modid of the dependency
    modId="forge" #mandatory
    # Does this dependency have to exist - if not, ordering below must be specified
    mandatory=true #mandatory
    # The version range of the dependency
    versionRange="[32,)" #mandatory
    # An ordering relationship for the dependency - BEFORE or AFTER required if the relationship is not mandatory
    ordering="NONE"
    # Side this dependency is applied on - BOTH, CLIENT or SERVER
    side="BOTH"
# Here's another dependency
[[dependencies.examplemod]]
    modId="minecraft"
    mandatory=true
    versionRange="[1.16.1]"
    ordering="NONE"
    side="BOTH"

By the way, your mods.toml file is wrong

30 minutes ago, AragoniteDragon said:

[[dependencies.examplemod]]

That should be your modid.

30 minutes ago, AragoniteDragon said:

updateJSONURL="http://myurl.me/" #optional

Ditto commenting out/removing all of the optional values you left with dummy text in them.

1 hour ago, AragoniteDragon said:

public static final DeferredRegister<Item> ITEMS = DeferredRegister.create(ForgeRegistries.ITEMS, "theworldofshmowmod");

You should also use MainModClass.MOD_ID for this line (and other similar lines, like your @Mod annotation).

11 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

By the way, your mods.toml file is wrong

That should be your modid.

Ditto commenting out/removing all of the optional values you left with dummy text in them.

You should also use MainModClass.MOD_ID for this line (and other similar lines, like your @Mod annotation).

Thanks for the help! Yeah, I originally had them all using MainModClass.MOD_ID but I hard coded in the strings out of desperation hoping it would fix the issue. I changed them back now. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. Still have any ideas what could be causing the issue?

Delete the build folder... I have a feeling the issue is Gradle asking case-blind Windows if a mixed-case old version is identical to the all-lower new one

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]