[1.16.1] Custom recipe type not working

majesity

Hi all! For my mod I have a custom furnace called the Obsidian Forge which is used to smelt higher tier ores that can't be smelted in a regular furnace. However, I'm having trouble with making custom recipe JSONs to be used for the forge. I made an ObsidianForgeRecipe class and an ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer class and they both have no errors when I load up a world, but it says '[Render thread/WARN] [minecraft/ClientRecipeBook]: Unknown recipe category: minecraft:obsidian_forge/majcraft:obsidian_forge' which means that my custom recipe type must not have been properly registered, but how do I do that?

Here is my Obsidian Forge class:

public class ObsidianForgeRecipe implements IRecipe<RecipeWrapper> {

public static final IRecipeType<ObsidianForgeRecipe> obsidian_forge = IRecipeType.register("obsidian_forge");

private final IRecipeType<?> type;
    private final ResourceLocation id;
    final String group;
    final Ingredient ingredient;
    final ItemStack result;
    final int cookTime;

public ObsidianForgeRecipe(ResourceLocation resourceLocation, String group, Ingredient ingredient, ItemStack result, int cookTime) {
        type = obsidian_forge;
        id = resourceLocation;
        this.group = group;
        this.ingredient = ingredient;
        this.result = result;
        this.cookTime = cookTime;
    }

@Override
    public boolean matches(RecipeWrapper inv, World worldIn) {
        return this.ingredient.test(inv.getStackInSlot(0));
    }

@Override
    public ItemStack getCraftingResult(RecipeWrapper inv) {
        return this.result.copy();
    }

@Override
    public boolean canFit(int width, int height) {
        return true;
    }

@Override
    public ItemStack getRecipeOutput() {
        return result;
    }

@Override
    public ResourceLocation getId() {
        return id;
    }

@Override
    public IRecipeSerializer<?> getSerializer() {
        return ModRecipeSerializers.OBSIDIAN_FORGE;
    }

@Override
    public IRecipeType<?> getType() {
        return type;
    }

@Override
    public NonNullList<Ingredient> getIngredients() {
        NonNullList<Ingredient> nonnulllist = NonNullList.create();
        nonnulllist.add(this.ingredient);
        return nonnulllist;
    }

@Override
    public ItemStack getIcon() {
        return new ItemStack(ModBlocks.OBSIDIAN_FORGE.get());
    }

public int getCookTime() {
        return cookTime;
    }
}

and here is my ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer class:

public class ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer<T extends ObsidianForgeRecipe> extends net.minecraftforge.registries.ForgeRegistryEntry<IRecipeSerializer<?>> implements IRecipeSerializer<T> {

private final ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer.IFactory<T> factory;

public ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer(ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer.IFactory<T> factory) {
        this.factory = factory;
    }

@Override
    @Nonnull
    public T read(@Nonnull ResourceLocation recipeId, @Nonnull JsonObject json) {
        // group
        String groupString = JSONUtils.getString(json, "group", "");

// ingredient
        JsonElement ingredientJSON = JSONUtils.isJsonArray(json, "ingredient") ? JSONUtils.getJsonArray(json, "ingredient") : JSONUtils.getJsonObject(json, "ingredient");
        Ingredient ingredient = Ingredient.deserialize(ingredientJSON);

// result
        ItemStack resultItemStack;
        if (!json.has("result")) {
            resultItemStack = ItemStack.EMPTY;
        }
        else if (json.get("result").isJsonObject()) {
            resultItemStack = ShapedRecipe.deserializeItem(JSONUtils.getJsonObject(json, "result"));
        } else {
            String resultString = JSONUtils.getString(json, "result");
            ResourceLocation resultRS = new ResourceLocation(resultString);
            resultItemStack = new ItemStack(ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.getValue(resultRS));
        }

// cookTime
        int cookTime = JSONUtils.getInt(json, "furnaceTime", 200);

return this.factory.create(recipeId, groupString, ingredient, resultItemStack, cookTime);
    }

@Nullable
    @Override
    public T read(@Nonnull ResourceLocation recipeId, PacketBuffer buffer) {
        // group
        String groupString = buffer.readString(32767);

// ingredient
        Ingredient ingredient = Ingredient.read(buffer);

// result
        ItemStack itemstack = buffer.readItemStack();

// cookTime
        int cookTime = buffer.readVarInt();

return this.factory.create(recipeId, groupString, ingredient, itemstack, cookTime);
    }

@Override
    public void write(PacketBuffer buffer, T recipe) {
        // group
        buffer.writeString(recipe.group);

// ingredient
        recipe.ingredient.write(buffer);

// result
        buffer.writeItemStack(recipe.result);

// cookTime
        buffer.writeVarInt(recipe.cookTime);
    }

public interface IFactory<T extends ObsidianForgeRecipe> {
        T create(ResourceLocation resourceLocation, String group, Ingredient ingredient, ItemStack result, int cookTime);
    }
}

link to my github:

https://github.com/majesityreal/MajCraft

Thank you for your time and help!

50 minutes ago, majesity said:

which means that my custom recipe type must not have been properly registered, but how do I do that?

The same way you register other IForgeRegistryEntry objects.

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Would that be through a DeferredRegistry? This is as far as I got but I don't know what value to assign it to:

@ObjectHolder(MajCraft.MOD_ID)
public class ModRecipeSerializers {

public static final ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer<ObsidianForgeRecipe> OBSIDIAN_FORGE = null;
}

or do I do it like I do with all my other stuff in the mod with Deferred Registries like for example my items:

public static final DeferredRegister<Item> ITEMS = DeferredRegister.create(ForgeRegistries.ITEMS, MajCraft.MOD_ID);

public void init() {
        ITEMS.register(FMLJavaModLoadingContext.get().getModEventBus());
    }

I looked into the ForgeRegistries and it has ForgeRegistries.RECIPE_SERIALIZERS... is this it?

Where can I look to learn how to do this? Sorry if this is a noob question.

When I say the same way I mean literally the same way you would a block or an item, just not a block, but a recipe serializer.

28 minutes ago, majesity said:

This is as far as I got but I don't know what value to assign it to:

YOU don't, that's what @ObjectHolder is for (not that you actually need a field for it anyway).

28 minutes ago, majesity said:

public static final DeferredRegister<Item> ITEMS = DeferredRegister.create(ForgeRegistries.ITEMS, MajCraft.MOD_ID);

That's for ITEMS, you want RECIPIE_SERIALIZERS.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

ok so I got as far as this:

public static final DeferredRegister<IRecipeSerializer<?>> RECIPES = DeferredRegister.create(ForgeRegistries.RECIPE_SERIALIZERS, MajCraft.MOD_ID);

public static final RegistryObject<ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer<ObsidianForgeRecipe>> OBSIDIAN_FORGE_RECIPES = RECIPES.register("obsidian_forge", ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer);

What do I need to put in place of ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer. I know it needs to be a Supplier, but how to I make one for the ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer? Is it a lambda expression?

I didn't figure it out, my current solution is to make the recipe for my item take 100000 ticks to complete so players can theoretically never smelt it from a vanilla furnace, then in my custom furnace I check for the item and set the smelting time to 100. I don't like it because it means that it consumes the item if a player puts it in the vanilla furnace instead of just having it not smelt, but it works and I can't figure anything else out.

1 hour ago, majesity said:

I know it needs to be a Supplier, but how to I make one for the ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer? Is it a lambda expression?

A "supplier" is just a function (such as a lambda) that takes no parameters and returns a value of a specified Type; it supplies a thing. A consumer is the opposite: it consumes a given Type as its only parameter and returns nothing.

Edited by Draco18s

But how would I make one in this scenario? And what specified Type would it need to return? I have tried a boatload of things including making blank constructors that assign default values, but none have worked. Could you point me in the right direction? Thank you for helping me on this.

Edited by majesity

2 hours ago, majesity said:

But how would I make one in this scenario?

You write a method (eg. a lambda) that satisfies the constraints of Supplier<T>. That is, it is a zero parameter function that returns an instance of <T>

You already know what the <T> is, too, its right there:

image.png.e9eaafca97adcc47cf00e0915babb856.png

• 1 month later...

I know I am late to the party but I do hope this helps someone reading.

'[Render thread/WARN] [minecraft/ClientRecipeBook]: Unknown recipe category: minecraft:obsidian_forge/majcraft:obsidian_forge'

In order to place the recipes into the different categories the recipe book looks at the IRecipeType of the recipe and returns a RecipeBookCategories. This method is hardcoded. If it doesn't recognise the recipe type, i.e. it is a custom recipe, then it will print a warning and return RecipeBookCategories.UNKNOWN. This warning does not mean you have done anything wrong.

I made an ObsidianForgeRecipe class and an ObsidianForgeRecipeSerializer class and they both have no errors when I load up a world, but it says '[Render thread/WARN] [minecraft/ClientRecipeBook]: Unknown recipe category: minecraft:obsidian_forge/majcraft:obsidian_forge' which means that my custom recipe type must not have been properly registered, but how do I do that?

As long as your recipe implementation works in application, then this message means your custom recipe type is done properly.

Edited by ZephyrWolf_