[1.16.1] Spawning a bush in the nether

Timebreaker900

I tried to spawn a bush inside the nether

I had many different tries but i can't get it to work. 

I tried it with the BlockClusterFeatureConfig

public static final BlockClusterFeatureConfig NETHER_QUARTZ_BUSH = (new BlockClusterFeatureConfig.Builder(
                new SimpleBlockStateProvider(BlockInit.NETHER_QUARTZ_BUSH.get().getDefaultState()),
                new SimpleBlockPlacer())).whitelist(ImmutableSet.of(Blocks.NETHERRACK)).tries(1).build();

and here is the code where it should generate the bush

public static void generateBushesNether() {
        for (Biome biome : ForgeRegistries.BIOMES) {
            if (biome.getCategory() == Biome.Category.NETHER) {

biome.addFeature(GenerationStage.Decoration.UNDERGROUND_DECORATION, Feature.FLOWER
                        .withConfiguration(BiomeFeatures.NETHER_QUARTZ_BUSH)
                        .withPlacement(Placement.COUNT_EXTRA_HEIGHTMAP.configure(new AtSurfaceWithExtraConfig((int)0.4F, 0.1F, 1)))
                );
            }
        }
}

I also don't know if there is a better way to generate things like flowers or bushes.

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!

tries(1)

Have you tried setting this to something like 50 or 60? Higher numbers mean your feature will have a much higher chance of being generated. Look at other vegetal features in DefaultBiomeFeatures, so you can have an idea of the numbers they use. Also you shouldn't be using Feature#FLOWER i guess, try with Feature#RANDOM_PATCH. See if it works like that

Check out the port of the BetterEnd fabric mod (WIP): https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterend-forge-port

So, i am not sure what the problem is, but i see from your github that your mod also existed in a 1.15.2 version, which i guess did work fine, didn't it? First of all, now Block.Properties is AbstractBlock.Properties, you will have to change those in your blocks registration. Next, looking at how 1.16 nether vegatal decorations are generated, it seems they use this feature here:

Feature<BlockStateProvidingFeatureConfig> field_236282_M_ = register("nether_forest_vegetation", new NetherVegetationFeature(BlockStateProvidingFeatureConfig.field_236453_a_));

Have you already tried to use that in your nether bush generation? Also i see that those vegetal block just implements their own version of isValidGround(BlockState state, IBlockReader worldIn, BlockPos pos) instead of isValidPosition, which in the end may not matter because the first is called anyway by the latter...but it may be a little bit more convenient in term of code:

boolean isValidGround(BlockState state, IBlockReader worldIn, BlockPos pos) {
      return state.isIn(BlockTags.NETHERRACK));
   }

Check out the port of the BetterEnd fabric mod (WIP): https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterend-forge-port

Actually...i found this line inside Block#canSustainPlant(BlockState state, IBlockReader world, BlockPos pos, Direction facing, net.minecraftforge.common.IPlantable plantable):

if (plantable instanceof BushBlock && ((BushBlock)plantable).isValidGround(state, world, pos))
         return true;

So, from what i understand, your nether bush block uses the super#isValidGround, which being it in BushBlock it checks for dirt, grass etc. So basically, when the line above is called for nether rack block it will never find that your bush block is compatible with it. So you should just override isValidGround like shown above. This is my theory, might not work but is worth a try, until someone comes out with a better idea 😛

Ok, I changed Block.Properties to AbstractBlock.Properties, thanks for that.

Yes I used the BlockStateProviderFeatureConfig but it changed nothing.

I also tried to override the isValidGround but I discovered that it is a protected boolean so i don't think thats going to work or am I wrong?

And btw thanks for your effort man appreciate that.

I work on this for days.. and I can't figure it out.. I think I will give up.. xD

This is what I have 

@Override
    protected boolean isValidGround(BlockState state, IBlockReader worldIn, BlockPos pos) {
        return state.isIn(Blocks.NETHERRACK);
    }

I used tries(50)

And this

if (biome == Biomes.NETHER_WASTES) {
          biome.addFeature(GenerationStage.Decoration.VEGETAL_DECORATION, Feature.RANDOM_PATCH//Feature.field_236282_M_
                   .withConfiguration(BiomeFeatures.NETHER_QUARTZ_BUSH)
                   .withPlacement(Placement.COUNT_HEIGHTMAP.configure(new FrequencyConfig(30)))
            );
         }

But it won't generate..

6 minutes ago, Timebreaker900 said:

Maybe forge has a problem at the Biome Cycle? 

It shouldn't...i tried myself quickly adding an existing feature in a nether biome where it is not supposed to generate and it worked perfectly. What you have to do here in my opinion is to mimic vanilla nether sprout, roots etc generation

I just did what i suggested you to do. So to mimic the behaviour of other vanilla nether vegetation. Override isValidGround in your block class, delete your implementation of isValidPosition. When adding the feature to your biomes use the NetherVegetationFeature, so the Feature#field_236282_M_ ...this feature requires a BlockStateProvidingFeatureConfig configuration and nothing more. So replace your BlockClusterFeatureConfig with this one (if you look into the DefaultBiomeFeatures class you will see how that config is created, look for NETHER_SPROUTS and CRIMSON_ROOTS_FEATURE_CONFIG)...you should see that your bush is now being generated on nether rack

Edited by Beethoven92

Keep in mind though that your block extends a BushBlock. So you will be able to place you nether bush on overworld blocks too (DIRT, GRASS..). You can also do this with the vanilla nether vegetation since that also extends BushBlock. Not sure if this behaviour is intentional or if it will be changed in the future, because honestly is a bit weird

You already had the cycle through biomes. Just check if the biome is a nether biome, and add your feature to it. This if you want your bush to be generated in every nether biome

Edited by Beethoven92