[1.15.2] How do I change the Description/Lore of an item?

xanderindalzone

I've seen a lot of posts about this topic but most were outdated, talking about overriding this method in your item's class:

@Override
    public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, List<ITextComponent> tooltip, ITooltipFlag flagIn) {
        // TODO Auto-generated method stub
        super.addInformation(stack, worldIn, tooltip, flagIn);
    }

but the tooltip field was List<String>, so I dont know how to deal with ITextComponent.

I also saw another post where they recomended using this event.... but I dont know which is the correct tag, or if i'm doing it correctly or not... this probably sounds like an easy thing/topic but I cant find the anwser anywhere😅

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void setGunDescription(ItemTooltipEvent event)
    {
        if(event.getItemStack().getItem() instanceof Gun)
        {
            System.out.println("CONTAINS KEY: "+event.getItemStack().getTag().contains("tag")); //I was using this to check if the key existed in the stack tag

}
    }

You can add things like StringTextComponent, TranslationTextComponent.. etc that inherits from ITextComponent to the list, see how vanilla does it.

If you are using the event (for some special reasons?) you can use 

event.getToolTip()

to get the list of tooltips which got from addInformation(), and use List.add() to add new tips just like above.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, poopoodice said:

You can add things like StringTextComponent, TranslationTextComponent.. etc that inherits from ITextComponent to the list, see how vanilla does it.

In other words: Right-click -> Open Type Hierarchy

• Thanks 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

4 minutes ago, poopoodice said:

If you are using the event (for some special reasons?) you can use 

event.getToolTip()

to get the list of tooltips which got from addInformation(), and use List.add() to add new tips just like above.

thx, before adding the text, I cleared all the stuff from the array and added the displayName, and then my description... and its working :)

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void setGunDescription(ItemTooltipEvent event)
    {
        if(event.getItemStack().getItem() instanceof Gun)
        {
            Gun gun = (Gun) event.getItemStack().getItem();
            event.getToolTip().clear();
            event.getToolTip().add(event.getItemStack().getDisplayName());
            event.getToolTip().add(new StringTextComponent(""));
            event.getToolTip().add(new StringTextComponent("======================"));
            event.getToolTip().add(new StringTextComponent("Category: "+gun.gun_type));
            event.getToolTip().add(new StringTextComponent("Fire Type: "+gun.gun_fire_type));
            event.getToolTip().add(new StringTextComponent("Firing Rate: "+1200/gun.gun_firing_rate+"rpm"));
            event.getToolTip().add(new StringTextComponent("Damage: -"+gun.gun_damage/2+" hearts"));
            event.getToolTip().add(new StringTextComponent("Accuracy: "+gun.gun_base_accuracy*100+"%"));
            event.getToolTip().add(new StringTextComponent("Recoil: "+gun.gun_recoil));
            event.getToolTip().add(new StringTextComponent("======================"));
        }
    }

btw, how could I add color to the text?

2020-08-04_23.09.39.png

7 hours ago, poopoodice said:

You can use setStyle to set the text's style or just use for example

applyTextStyle(TextFormatting.RED)

sorry to hijack this thread, but where would you call applyTextStyle from? it's not a StringTextComponent method...