Block Damage From Specific DamageSource

Achilleus117

I am making a mod that has an item that spawns lightning when used. The lightning is used to attack other entities. I need to block damage from the lightning to just the player. How can I achieve this? I know lightning is one of the DamageSources, is there a way to just block this DamageSource for the user holding the item?

You have to get that from the event too. Its in the event's DamageSource's data.

Because think about it, if you store a static entity reference, what entity is that? It can't be "the entity that dealt damage" because there are MANY entities that could do that.

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

28 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

You have to get that from the event too. Its in the event's DamageSource's data.

Because think about it, if you store a static entity reference, what entity is that? It can't be "the entity that dealt damage" because there are MANY entities that could do that.

The DamageSource's data says which entity is holding my custom item? Which property is that? The entity that dealt the damage was the lightning bolt. That's not what I need. I need the entity that is holding my custom item. Using the static entity is working, but it stops the player (and only the player) from ever receiving lightning damage even after dropping the item. 

1 hour ago, Achilleus117 said:

The DamageSource's data says which entity is holding my custom item? Which property is that? The entity that dealt the damage was the lightning bolt. That's not what I need. I need the entity that is holding my custom item. Using the static entity is working, but it stops the player (and only the player) from ever receiving lightning damage even after dropping the item. 

Ah yes.  Normally you would be able to call getTrueSource.

But as lightning doesn't normally get spawned by entities (unlike arrows) they don't track an owner. 

You will be unable to track this information. 

You may be able to get nearby players and check their active item, but this is at best a guess as to which player was actually responsible. 

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

On 8/12/2020 at 1:56 AM, diesieben07 said:

Considering it's your own item that spawns the lightning you need to attach this "owner" information yourself.

When spawning the LightningBoltEntity you can use either a capability attached to it or use getPersistentData. The latter is a little ugly, because you are working with raw NBT, only use it for small amounts of data. Also make sure to include your ModID in the keys that you use, otherwise there can be collisions with other mods.

I actually made my own type of LightningBoltEntity that extends LightningBoltEntity, I guess it may be a bit easier to pass the information to that? 

There is a "caster" field inside LightningBoltEntity which stores a ServerPlayerEntity, and you can set this field with the setCaster method. Now...when in your item class you create the bolt entity, you can set its caster to the player that is holding the item. Then you would need to retrieve the caster of the bolt in your event handler. Problem, the "caster" field is private and you would have to use access transformers to make it public. I am not sure if this would work though..

Check out the port of the BetterEnd fabric mod (WIP): https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterend-forge-port