Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One command, that's documented with the readme and examples that comes with it, is hard to setup... Right....

Feel free to suggest how to make it even easier....

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/lexmanos
Paypal: http://paypal.me/LexManos

BitCoin: 1Q8rWvUNMM2T1ZfDaFeeYQyVXtYoeT6tTn

oh i mean its probably not that hard, i just cant figure it out, everyones tutorials are how to do it on intellij, and the people that do it on eclipse either use some different command, (decomp workspace or something) that doesent work with me, or they do everything i do and then launch eclipse into an "eclipse" folder that i dont have, nothing seems to work for me the way it does for other people. and for mcp they do it so u just copy the files into a folder than decompile, than it just works, which is way easier than this.

setupDecompWorkspace is old versions.

Either use the buildship eclipse plugin to import the MDK as an existing Gradle project, or run gradlew eclipse and import the eclipse project that generates

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

You looking at way outdated tutorials.

I said read the readme that comes with the MDK.

As for the eclipse folder, it's literally just any folder you want for your workspace.

Stop relying on video tutorials and read the readme.

Or you can just google 'How to load a gradle project in eclipse'

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

yes i have read over the readme plenty of times, but im not sure what to do after step 4 which is why i tried to look up tutorials, it says "Open Project > Run/Debug Settings > Edit runClient and runServer > Environment" but i dont know where "open project" is or any of those things. i also tried doing the first option for step 4, but it brings up "gradle tasks"... im not sure what to do there.

That would be a menu option in your IDE...

But honestly you don't need to do that.

Just run `gradlew eclipse genEclipseRuns` then IN Eclipse Import -> Existing Project -> Select the root folder with build.gradle and all that.

Done...

Honestly if you can't figure out these basics when there are literally thousands of hand holding tutorials and videos out there. You're gunna have a hard time when it comes to actually writing code.

ooooookkkkk i finally got it working, thanks for that last message, helped out a lot. also i only started coding a few months ago but id say im fairly good at it by now, ive just never ran into a problem with this, and i guess i dont have the experience to figure it out on my own, sorry about that and thank you for your help.