In regards to LTS -- What does this mean for Forge's API format?

Xan the Dragon

Hi.

I saw the release of the new LTS system and I would like to know if this has any implications for the structure of Forge's API. One of the #1 problems I've had with using Forge over the years -- and a huge incentive to not upgrade -- is that with every couple versions the API seems to become vastly and fundamentally different than the prior. Of course, a lot of this is my fault, given that my version history has been 1.7.10 => 1.8.9 => 1.12.2 => 1.15.2 -- No matter. The big issue I always had was that it felt like I had to re-learn the vast majority of the API every time I wanted to move to a new version, which made the upgrading process of my mods less than ideal.

Seeing that the Forge team has put a great deal of effort forth to refactor the whole system, does this mean that Forge's API should be far more consistent between future versions (where possible)? After these version changes over the past several years, I have been debating on designing my own secondary API that my mods are built on top of, so all I need to really do is update how my API interacts with Forge, and then my mod code that uses my API can stay relatively the same. However, given the recent rework of Forge, this step may be obsolete.

What are the long term plans for the structure of Forge's API? Will it see less radical changes between minor version updates in Minecraft?

Check out my website!

Forge's API will continue as it always has been. Reacting and adapting to Minecraft's changes.

Forge is NOT an abstraction layer. We are changes and extensions of Vanilla's API/Features. 

When those features change, so do we.

Also, remember that Minecraft's NOT designed with modding in mind. They do some things with us in the back of their mind but a lot of the time their changes fundamentally break what we do. 

Basically, When Vanilla breaks things, there isn't anything we can do about it.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

17 minutes ago, LexManos said:

Forge's API will continue as it always has been. Reacting and adapting to Minecraft's changes.

Forge is NOT an abstraction layer. We are changes and extensions of Vanilla's API/Features. 

Also, remember that Minecraft's NOT designed with modding in mind. They do some things with us in the back of their mind but a lot of the time their changes fundamentally break what we do. 

Alrighty. This makes sense.

It's good to see that LTS is in mind, then. It does help to lift some of the weight while still allowing Forge to continue to grow. Thanks.

Check out my website!

5 hours ago, LexManos said:

Thank you. This makes sense. Default Router Settings - Router Help

Edited by Jorge50