[1.14.4] Getting started with containers

kaiser_

Hello!

I'm trying to begin learning how containers work, but the vanilla files are no help for me to understand them. I've been trying to find some guides but they are mostly outdated or useless.

My questions are the following about them:

• how to use containers? A simple guide or a link would do.
  • when to use them?
  • how to use them correctly?
  • and how to use containers without a TileEntity? Just like the MerchantContainer in vanilla.

I appreciate any answer!

https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php?title=YouTube-Tutorials#Episode_2:_The_First_Block.2C_Capabilities.2C_Container.2C_Gui

Containers dont really require anything special in constructor in regards to tile entities. You are not forced to open it on right click of a tile entity. You can also just open the container when right clicking an item etc.. Just depends on where you call the NetworkHooks method to open it. Most minecraft containers require the player or player inventory as parameter (in constructor) because they access said inventory. But you are free to do whatever you want.

So ye. Kinda trying to answer you where there isnt much to talk about. You can re-use the same container and containerscreen classes for different container types. Just keep that in mind (this is done eg. with the vanilla chests)

• Thanks 1