Forge automatically assigning Block and Item ID's

endershadow

In the topic just before mine (which is now locked), it was suggested that block ID's are automatically set up by forge, thus making it incompatible with vanilla by extension. I thought, what if Item and Block ID's are set up so that mods can start with 0 as the first ID for Items and Blocks and continue to increase as blocks are added, but forge can automatically add them into the correct spot in the array for Items and Blocks when minecraft is loaded. I think forge could also have a configuration file that uses the mod ID to specify which order the mods are loaded in, and it automatically generates it and just appends new mods to the list as they are added. I think this might make it easier to update mod packs and such because the configs wouldn't need to be edited at all because it would be done automatically.

The problem is that it gets messy when you start trying to handle multiplayer.

How do you insure that every client has their mods load in the same order so that IDs (behind the "Forge-wall") match up?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

good point. although, the client could make a seperate config for that IP and port if the config files don't match.

This sounds like a total mess.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

class MyMod implements FuelHandler
{
  init(){
    myAwesomLog = new BlockLog(200);
  }
  int getBurnTime(stack)
  {
    if stack.itemId == 200 return 10000000;
  }
}

How do you propose we handle that?

There is no way for us to generically 'remap' item ids. I know it comes up often but theres not much we can do especially considering we have to support Vanilla/ModLoader's setup.

We cant FORCE modders to not be retarded when it comes to IDs.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Its pretty much an all or nothing things. We need to GARENTEE that we can tie names to each unique item.

Then we have to GARENTEE that modders are not accessing items by there id

Then we have to GARENTEE that we know exactly how every item is referenced.

Its just something so fundamental in minecraft that we can't do.

Trust me, I've thought long and hard, done MANY MANY hours worth of coding, testing, mockups, etc...

It all boils down to, if a modder does his job properly. {requests ids when needed, trust others to pull there first, etc..}

And a server admin does his job correctly {making sure that clients have there valid configs}.

Management of IDS is not an issue.

But, modders don't, and in order for us to fix it on Forge's end we have to re-write a lot of Minecraft, which we won't do.

We're here to pick up where mojang left off for Modders. Not to re-write the engine.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon