TileEntity Multipart model

Alpvax

I am in the process of converting my existing blockstate based model to a tileentity due to excessive use of blockstates (4-value EnumProperty for each direction = 4096 + waterlogged = 8192 permutations!)

I have an existing (generated) multipart blockstate json, is there any way to easily convert it to the same model, just using the data from the tileentity instead of the blockstate?

I'm assuming I need to create a custom BakedModel, but I would ideally like to keep the current data-driven approach (one model for each of the 4 enum values).

It's the first time I've started looking into custom models, and I think a TileEntityRenderer is overkill for static models. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Almost fully working.

Only thing I'm now struggling with is forcing my TileEntity to sync.

I'm calling markDirty and requestModelDataUpdate after changing the property, but the client side data doesn't refresh until I close and reopen the world.

Do I need to send a custom packet, or is there an easier way of forcing a resync?

Even closer now.

I do not want to update neighbours, as the property is changed from Block#neighborChanged, and I do not want to cause an infinite loop.

//Called after updating property
BlockState blockState = getBlockState();
//Do not update neighbours
getWorld().notifyBlockUpdate(getPos(), blockState, blockState, Constants.BlockFlags.BLOCK_UPDATE | Constants.BlockFlags.RERENDER_MAIN_THREAD); 
requestModelDataUpdate();

I also call requestModelDataUpdate at the end of handleUpdateTag.

The data is now correct on the client (displayed when right clicked), but the render is always 1 step behind (Only updates once another block is placed).