[1.16.3] Chuck Capability Not Registering

BeardlessBrady

https://github.com/Beardlessbrady/FortKnox-Mod/blob/f81dc23108b2b3b1ed99fb6815702ba3e93841aa/src/main/java/com/beardlessbrady/fortknox/ModFortKnox.java#L28
you want to use @ CapabilityInject here otherwise its always null
also, you are casting to a lazyoptional here... https://github.com/Beardlessbrady/FortKnox-Mod/blob/f81dc23108b2b3b1ed99fb6815702ba3e93841aa/src/main/java/com/beardlessbrady/fortknox/capabilities/protection/ProtectionProvider.java#L38
which is just plain wrong.

i recommend looking at forge's different cap implementations (energy, fluid handler, item handler)

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I am trying to fix the #getCapability but I am having issues with the following:

@Override
    public <T> LazyOptional<T> getCapability(Capability<T> cap, Direction side) {
        return (cap == ModFortKnox.PROTECTION_CAPABILITY) ? ((ModFortKnox.PROTECTION_CAPABILITY) protection) : null;
    }

My issue is when I am trying to cast protection with PROTECTION_CAPABILITY its telling me that PROTECTION_CAPABILITY is an unknown class. For some reason I can't cast it. Any ideas?

Im following this (which I know is outdated) as my example:
https://github.com/JamiesWhiteShirt/MinecraftForge/blob/2a933e2094f73e69749c478d921e75bb3d26ead4/src/test/java/net/minecraftforge/debug/ChunkCapabilityPollutionTest.java

How do I return protection in #getCapability

Edited by BeardlessBrady

1 hour ago, BeardlessBrady said:

How do I return protection in #getCapability

You're not returning an instance, you're returning a holder to that instance. For that, you need to create a holder that references your instance. You'll need to use LazyOptional::of and pass the instance in and then cast it within the method. Note that you should always return the super of the method in case something else decides to override it.

I am trying to understand but it isn't very clear what I am supposed to put into the LazyOptional.of() method. If I place the instance of my capability I get the error stated above. As I mentioned I can get it working fine if a new instance doesn't require any parameters but mine does because it's a chunk capability. Can someone just help me understand what I need to do with my instance in order to put it in the LazyOptional.of().

Edited by BeardlessBrady