[SOLVED] How do I send a simple chatmessage to the client only?

Philip2809

Just as the title says, I trying to make a mod that will send a response by a chatmessage, an example of this is baritone, when you write a command it sends a response.

Minecraft.getInstance().player.sendMessage(msg);

I can't for the life of me get it to work, even with ITextComponent.

I am new to forge modding, and weren't able to find any information about this, an even when i got ITextComponent to work it was asking for some UUID, if I understood it correctly?

Thx for the help in advance!

//Philip2809

Edited by Philip2809
Grammer

2 hours ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

Make sure the code is isolated only on the physical client. And yes, it does need a UUID to specify which player its coming from or Util#DUMMY_UUID if it's coming from no player.

Hi!

Thanks for fast response, as I said before I am really new to this and have idea how to do this and almost all stuff I find form this is old and they have change the names of a lot of stuff? (no idea how to say it in one word)

The mod I am creating if for the client only and not a mod for a server. I am sorry but I still don't really understand this with the UUID?

Thanks

//Philip2809

Edited by Philip2809

50 minutes ago, Philip2809 said:

almost all stuff I find form this is old and they have change the names of a lot of stuff? (no idea how to say it in one word)

Yes, method signatures have changed. Because Mojang changed them. Or they got a new MCP name because the old one was inaccurate or didn't meet naming practices.

51 minutes ago, Philip2809 said:

I am sorry but I still don't really understand this with the UUID?

UUID, a universally unique identifier. Every player (every entity) has one. Chat messages typically originate from somewhere and that's what the UUID is for: to tell the client who sent the message. If you don't have a sender (hint, you--the developer--don't) then you need to use a dummy ID.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Your message is coming from your mod, from no where, you don't need a website to find a player's UUID, you either get the UUID from an entity itself or don't need a real UUID at all, in which case you need a dummy UUID, which diesieben07 already told you how to get.

Edited by Draco18s
  • Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Hi,

As I said I am new to this with forge and don't really understand how to get this dummy uuid? Might be a wierd qustion but if I now use a uuid but then put it to my forge with a real logged in player will it still work?

Forget that, I solved it! Thanks to Draco18s and ChampionAsh5357 for the help. Here is how I did:

ITextComponent msg = new StringTextComponent("msg");
UUID testuuid = Minecraft.getInstance().player.getUniqueID();
Minecraft.getInstance().player.sendMessage(msg,testuuid);

I didn't figure it this DummyUUID thing, if u know how to get it please tell me.

I tested this on LAN an it only displayed for the player with the mod and the one sending the command!

//Philip2809

Edited by Philip2809
Correction

Sorry it wasn't diesieben07, it was ChampionAsh5357.

This, you do this:

2 hours ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

Util#DUMMY_UUID

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Sorry it wasn't diesieben07, it was ChampionAsh5357.

This, you do this:

I solved it, edited me post before, I don't know if I am doing it wrong becasue me DUMMY_UUID turns red? I am doing soemting wrong, but as I did now I got the Entity of the player.

//Philip2809

8 minutes ago, Philip2809 said:

I don't know if I am doing it wrong becasue me DUMMY_UUID turns red?

You mean a red underline? Yes, it would, but just because it turns red doesn't tell us what your IDE is saying is wrong. All that is is "there is an error here."

What error?

7 minutes ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

That's not how you write java. # is used to specify that the following is either a field or a non-static method in most cases. It can also specify a static method however those are usually formatted with ::.

I am really sorry but I am new both to forge and Java, how would you write this?

4 minutes ago, Beethoven92 said:

Use the dot to call methods or fields of a class

Hi!

I am sorry for being an idiot, I am just now this this with Java and Forge. I stopped being stupid and fount that this worked as well as the other code where I took the UUID of the player.

Minecraft.getInstance().player.sendMessage(msg, Util.field_240973_b_);

I was trying to find something when typing "Util.DUMMY_UUID" and didn't find anyting, but then I looked at the return for it and saw that the "Util.field_240973_b_" was the only one with the return of a UUID. Is this the Dummy_UUID?

Which is better to use? Using Dummyuuid or uuid from playerentity?

ITextComponent msg = new StringTextComponent("msg");
UUID testuuid = Minecraft.getInstance().player.getUniqueID();
Minecraft.getInstance().player.sendMessage(msg,testuuid);

or

Minecraft.getInstance().player.sendMessage(msg, Util.field_240973_b_);

or is there no difference? And btw how do I change the title to solved as it is solved?

Is the message coming from the player? Or is it to the player?

If you really can't figure it out:

From the player:

Then use the player's uuid

To the player:

Then use the dummy uuid

Are you sending the information from an entity/player or something that doesn't have a specified identifier (like a developer, console, server)? Each is specific for its use.

Also, just edit the title of the forum, no way to specifically mark it.

For extra reference, only use TranslationTextComponent. It allows localization.

Edited by ChampionAsh5357

15 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Is the message coming from the player? Or is it to the player?

If you really can't figure it out:

Reveal hidden contents

From the player:

Reveal hidden contents

Then use the player's uuid

To the player:

Reveal hidden contents

Then use the dummy uuid

It's meant to the player from the mod when the player writes in a command

For extra reference, only use TranslationTextComponent. It allows localization.

ok thanks will do so

Edited by Philip2809

16 minutes ago, Philip2809 said:

from the mod

So then it isn't from the player is it? So why would you tell the code that it was?