[1.16.3] Modding Tutorial

FledgeXu

I start a serial of Modding tutorial video, which will include Item, Block, TileEntity, special rendering, Entity, World Generation and so on.

There is the link:YoutubePlayList.

If you have any questions to ask, Welcome join my Discord Server.

You can find the source code in there.

context:

I'm going to break a few things down so you can correct it. As a person who's spread bad modding practices in the past, I don't want your videos to follow a similar path.

1) The build.gradle needs to be updated in a few ways.

- The 'eclipse' plugin is not relevant since you are using IntelliJ, change it to 'idea'.

- Update the version, group, archivesBaseName to your valid information.

- All instances of 'examplemod' should be replaced with your mod id.

- Fill out the jar manifest (this is not a requirement, but it makes your mod look more professional).

2) Update the pack.mcmeta to reflect the current information (again not necessary, but it makes it look more professional).

3) Careful how you hardcode parameters in Main as you should just store a single instance of the event bus and pass it around. However, that's most likely once you do your next object.

4) It's a waste of an object to only use it to hardcode a parameter. Doing it to use the double colon operator is worthless and just a waste of space. Your item (since nothing has changed) should just pass in a supplier with a new instance of the base item class. If you wanted to have all your items use the same properties, it's better to create a method that does it. Do note: be careful how that is done as you could end up making a deferred instance not deferred at all.

5) Use data providers to create your json files. Handwriting them is mainly just a waste of time and can be circumvented now.

Edited by ChampionAsh5357

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 6:55 PM, ChampionAsh5357 said:

5) Use data providers to create your json files. Handwriting them is mainly just a waste of time and can be circumvented now.

Don't really wanna pump this thread but, what are those and how do you use them? I would really love to know that for a few mods that I am going to make

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MostafaSabry55 said:

what are those and how do you use them?

A data generator is a way to automate creating json files via providers. Current versions of the mdk have a base build.gradle set up so you do not need to edit anything. Then, I would suggest reading through the docs with their information and build off of there.

• Thanks 1