My minecraft bat problem

Kiljaeden053

So let's say I have a giant bat model. It's has 5 wing membranes that are 50 X 50 pixels in size and is a perfect square since Minecraft models and modelparts only accept cubes and squares. So to make it look like a bat wing, we sculpt and erase the overlapping parts of a texturemap and shape out and texture a bat wing, the erased parts wouldn't be rendered ingame thus creating a wing. Now here's the problem, the bat would fold it's wings when hanging in caves, but when it do, the already shaped would pierce the body and overlap making weird pointy star shapes.

What I understand:

1. Get the angle by calculating the rotation of the parent model part "wingfingers" to get the overlapping parts .

2. Get the location of  the wings at the texturemap

3. Then create a smooth algorithim that would determine the overlapping parts every time it closes it's wings.

4. then once the numbers are done, erase the overlapping parts. 

What I don't understand:

1. Is this even possible to erase an already textured model using only code?

2. Can I even make a straight line using pixels.

8 minutes ago, Kiljaeden053 said:

It's has 5 wing membranes that are 50 X 50 pixels in size and is a perfect square since Minecraft models and modelparts only accept cubes and squares

Not true, it's just better to use ratios, widths, and heights that are a power of two.

9 minutes ago, Kiljaeden053 said:

Is this even possible to erase an already textured model using only code?

All data is sent and processed in a stream of bytes, so modifying a stream of byte data before it reaches it source is more than possible. A better answer is don't. You have a model and you can apply any texture to it within the renderer. Just use that instead of editing some other texture data. You can do some clever logic with the renderers in the model to achieve your goal with no hassle, just requires a bit of time.

13 minutes ago, Kiljaeden053 said:

Can I even make a straight line using pixels.

Why couldn't you?

4 minutes ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

You can do some clever logic with the renderers in the model to achieve your goal with no hassle, just requires a bit of time.

This is what I don't like. You see I want to make it's wings large but they will always overlap the body

Can I even make a straight line using pixels.

Ok this is the result of me not getting enough sleep. What I mean is that if it's possible to even get a slant line of pixels that will later on convert into a straight line of pixels. 

My thoughts: So instead of pixel by pixel erasure. How about instead a transparency mask of sorts. the pixel is still in there,  just unseen.

1 minute ago, Kiljaeden053 said:

This is what I don't like. You see I want to make it's wings large but they will always overlap the body

Not being rude, that's more a result of poor animation rather than textures. If handled correctly, there should be no way to overlap the body.

4 minutes ago, Kiljaeden053 said:

My thoughts: So instead of pixel by pixel erasure. How about instead a transparency mask of sorts. the pixel is still in there,  just unseen.

This is less related to Minecraft and more taking a texture, masking by color range, using some sort of neural algorithm to determine whether the pixels represent a line or not and then editing the values to achieve the effect you want.

• Thanks 1

This is less related to Minecraft and more taking a texture, masking by color range, using some sort of neural algorithm to determine whether the pixels represent a line or not and then editing the values to achieve the effect you want.

I am satisfied of your reply sir! I'll be looking for some other forums to fix this problem. Needless to say thanks for helping.