DIM's not working

ockerspock

I am using Forge version 34.1.0 on Minecraft 1.16.3.

I started on 1.16.2 and have upgraded, at some point My nether portal stopped loading the Nether. I also recently located the End Portal and it is not loading the End.

The mod List is here (edit Removed link)

I tried deleting DIM -1 (before I discovered The End) and that did nothing

I updated all the mods that I could, there are 19 that are not 1.16.3 and some others that say they are but still are named 1.16.2

I tried the "Execute in" command and The Overworld and a Woot Tartarus Dim were all that were available.

I have created a new world* with the same mods and the Nether portal works, also the Execute in command shows the_nether

On the original map I Deleted ALL mods (leaving their folders and other data) and the portal did not work

After restoring I deleted Woot and it's folder but still not working.

To be clear - The Nether portal just continues waving but not loading in the nether, The End portal just allows falling through (I removed the lava)

I also tried copying the Level.dat, Level.dat_old and the Region folder to the new world* mentioned earlier and the nether portal was not working

I am on the verge of abandoning this world and starting anew, I can not think of anything else to try, but would be interested to know why it is not working and if it can be saved.

Hope you are able to help but understand if you can not. 

Thanks either way

Edited by ockerspock

I'm not sure what you mean by "DIM's not working" and your post explains what you did rather than what you mean

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

Sorry, I thought these bits made it as clear as needed

"at some point My nether portal stopped loading the Nether"

"To be clear - The Nether portal just continues waving but not loading in the nether, The End portal just allows falling through (I removed the lava)"

What I mean is ....I should be able to travel to the Nether and the End, it is a normal part of Minecraft but I can not get to either the Nether DIM or the End DIM, either by their respective portals or by the execute command.  I have no idea how else to explain what I mean than by describing what is (not) happening.

The issue is not just the portals not working ....so I chose to use the term "DIM's" to mean the 2 vanilla dimensions that are not the overworld and "not working" to convey the fact that I could not get them to load.

The extra content containing what I did also contained information about what I meant by not working and that I had tried a number of things to find a cause.

Given your execute command didn't find the nether or end, it's safe to say they don't exist anymore. You said you tried copying the Level.dat files and nothing happened, did you try copying over the dimension folders from before the update to the new world as well?

Edited by urbanxx001

I am guessing you edited after reading in the "what I did" post the following.... 

"On the original map I Deleted ALL mods (leaving their folders and other data) and the portal did not work

After restoring I deleted Woot and it's folder but still not working."

edit Yes, I tried the delete the nether method and the import a working nether method. But in any case that would not explain the End not working, it was only attempted in 1.16.3 with the only DIM creating mod (that I am aware of) removed 

Edited by ockerspock
Saw updated reply

Ok so the Nether works but not the End when you restore them from the previous version, i.e. moving those folders from pre-1.16.3 to the post-1.16.3 world. So when you tried travelling to the End in 1.16.3, there were no mods installed but you used the modded world, correct?

Edited by urbanxx001

"On the original map I Deleted ALL mods (leaving their folders and other data) and the portal did not work"

"I have created a new world* with the same mods and the Nether portal works, also the Execute in command shows the_nether"

I have not tried the End with all the mods removed, "I also tried copying the Level.dat, Level.dat_old and the Region folder to the new world* mentioned earlier and the nether portal was not working", and I tried copying in the working Nether DIM -1 from the new world* created with the mods installed into the restored original world where the portal to the Nether was not working, and could not access the Nether 

"On the original map I Deleted ALL mods (leaving their folders and other data) and the portal did not work" nether portal.

This time I deleted options, mod folders and anything that seemed to be modded.

What difference was expected with the End portal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but in any case, same result as before .... just land on the floor of the End portal room after falling through the End portal.

Just for the fun of it I built a Nether portal in the End portal room and was not able to get to the Nether

If it is a world without mods, then post the download here and we can take a look.

There is a vanilla issue that is the deserializer breaks for dimensions/biomes that subsequent dimensions/biomes will not load.

So, if you added a mod, that added a dimension, and then removed that mod, it'll break things.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

This is the link to the World save http://www.mediafire.com/folder/b13b14blssp6c/-4499410948081570036

Hope it is what you are looking for. I am going to install Minecraft on another computer and see if transferring to a fresh install has any effect. I guess my main concern now is if I start a fresh game (the portals seemed OK on a new world creation) without finding out what caused the problem how can i be sure it won't happen again. Thanks for taking an interest. 

I installed Minecraft with Forge 34.1.0 on a new computer, added no mods and copied my saved world into the saves folder. It loaded, with the modded items removed, but the nether portal did not take me to the Nether... or anywhere.

I am resolved to believe all is lost. Guess I can only start a new world and hope it does not happen again.

Please upload the world as a zip file, I don't feel like paying for mediafire or spending 2 hours downloading the files one by one.
Also include your log file.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

Sorry Lex that was really dumb of me not zipping.... or seeing that I am supposed to be able to upload files here, i can do image files but obviously too dumb to work out how to publish what you are looking for. Tried 5 or 6 times, redid zip file a few times in that. But the mediafire sit should not require payment, or registration, it does attempt to get you to go pro but pro usually means there is a amateur option. So I will link it here ....yes I zipped this time. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/92kl08t6x3g53mf/World.zip/file

fail.thumb.png.2c410435dd2e2c4843a3fd8573c0708f.png

Alright so, digging into things. This appears to be a vanilla issue that is exposed/exasperated by mods.

If you'll notice in your level.dat, there is literally just one dimension registered.
rZqhdcZ.png

As such, Minecraft literally doesn't know what to do with the nether/end portals. As the world they are trying to send you to don't exist.

This is caused by Mojang's switch to data driven dimensions.

It appears the reader/writer for the dimensions just nuked your data sometime in the past.

The only way to resolve this is to inject that data into level.dat again. Be it via a mod or doing it manually.

I'll keep looking into what could of caused this and what we can do to mitigate it, but I think it's something that I have to bring up to Mojang and hope they fix in their codec system.

Thank you Lex. I have started making preparations to begin again ...with Dire's BG to transfer some builds over. But I will have a go at inserting the missing DIMs. I downloaded NBTExplorer 2.8.0 ...looks "simple" now I know where the problem lies. 

I will reply with how I got on, in the next day or so.

Thanks again, you are a hero and a legend.

PS If you find a small gift it is not payment for working on this problem ...it is simply a little bit to acknowledge what you do for all Modded Minecrafters  

So an update.

I created a new world, went to the nether, returned and then saved and closed.

I copied both the nether and the end from that working worlds level.dat and level.dat_old into my broken worlds level.dat and level.dat_old but still no luck. 

I am happy to give the "via a mod" option a go. Let me know what mod please.

I decided on a new strategy. I am going to try adding mods to the working new world installation. Starting with all the core mods, seeing if the nether is still working and then adding mods that should not have any interaction with DIMs and then add a few at a time, trying to discover what caused it rather than just getting it working. I will take me a while but worth a try.

Ya, there are a few things you can do. But not much we can do on our end.

By a mod, i mean a one off mod that forces the dimensions back into the registry.

However, re-adding it to the dimensions to the level.dat should be simple enough if you just wanna load it with Just forge.

You could make a new world, and then copy the domensions part of the NBT over.

I have news.

I did a new MC instance, new world and same seed, I added back the essential mods ....so instead of 108 I am all the way down to 94, I did this a few at a time and checked the nether was working as I went. 

I then copied the nether and end from the level.dat and level.dat_old of that world over to a copy of those files from the broken map.

But I also removed 3 folders that were left by mods that I had removed ....1 of them may have been the problem. 

I think it might have been Woot but could have been Tesseract or, unlikely, Minecolonies.

However it appears I have the world back. 

Thanks very much.

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure if you would still like an answer to this issue, but I had the same issue as you & tried to fix it in the same ways. So I figured out the issue & how to solve it!

What I did was dig into the NBT files of the world. In doing so, I saw that the End & Nether dimensions were missing from level.dat. That explains why even with the DIM files, the game thought that the dimensions didn't exist. This also explains why other worlds dimensions worked fine.

So, here's how I fixed it:

(edit: make sure to not be in the original Minecraft world while doing this.)

I copied the world seed & created a new world with it. I'm not sure if having the same seed is necessary, but I wasn't going to take the chance.

Now, open NBT explorer twice, to have 2 separate windows of it open. Click the "Open folder" button in both of them. Now, in one window, select your original world folder, & in the other window, select the new world with the same seed (make sure to click okay when ONLY the world folder is SELECTED). In both of these windows, travel down this path:

+ level.dat > +data +WorldGenSettings > +dimensions

(level.dat_old is irrelevant, so don't worry about it).

here, you should see every dimension in the world. Now, in the window that has the new world with the same seed, select the dimensions missing from your main world (one at a time) & copy it (you don't need to click the + next to the dimensions, because you only need to copy the whole thing, not any individual subfolders inside it.). Ctrl+c, or the copy button at the top, whichever works. Then paste it into the 'dimensions' subfile. (Make sure you paste the dimension while ONLY the dimension subfile is selected, otherwise it could end up somewhere it shouldn't be. You'll know you did it right when it's in the same place as all the other dimensions).

Once you finish, make absolute certain that you click the save button at the top of the window, otherwise nothing will change. Since you got what you needed from the new world, you can just delete that once you confirm it works.

I hope this helps you, & anyone looking for the answer in the future!

Spoiler

image.png

Edited by RainLights
Added clarification, the warning to make sure that you aren't in the world whilst following the steps, & removed unnecessary spoilers.

• 2 weeks later...