Learning new forge code?

LostALifeGaming

Im trying to learn java and forge api from scratch I have learnt the basics of java such as function, classes, etc. Unfortunately the forge docs dont show everything (which i admit would be almost impossible) and are complicated. Youtube videos arent that common. I was wondering were do you all go to learn a new line of code when your working on something and you dont know what to use?

Also, i accidentally posted in the tutorial forum so admins if you see this im sorry and can you please delete it... Im so sorry.

8 hours ago, LostALifeGaming said:

Unfortunately the forge docs dont show everything (which i admit would be almost impossible) and are complicated.

The forge docs gives an overview of the provided features. A good bit of the source is javadoced. However, you should have the ability to infer based on observation to solve whatever problem you have.

Youtube videos arent that common

They are rarely good anyways. Most of the time it's copy-paste from someone else's.

I was wondering were do you all go to learn a new line of code when your working on something and you dont know what to use?

Ask a question to the forums if you're having some problem trying to understand a particular piece of code. Just note, you are assumed to know how to write java. We're here to help you understand ways how to fix your code. We will not write it, but we will give you the tools necessary to succeed.

What ChampionAsh said plus, vanilla minecraft is probably the best place to look how certain things are done. Whatever thing you are implementing, before doing anything else just think: does vanilla minecraft already has something similar to what i am trying to achieve? If the answer is yes you are very lucky, because you already have a very good starting point...then reading and understanding the code, and finally trying to adapt it to your needs is the next step. You can also find help in other people mods if vanilla doesn't have something similar to the feature you want to add

Check out the port of the BetterEnd fabric mod (WIP): https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterend-forge-port

Become very proficient with Java. Unfortunately, the state of Forge documentation and lack of up to date tutorials means that you must become very good at reading and understanding other people's code in order to figure things out. You might try looking up TheGreyGhost's Minecraft by Example or Cadiboo's tutorials. They at least go up to 1.15. I haven't been plugged into the modding world for a while, so there may be others I'm not aware of.

10 hours ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

Ask a question to the forums if you're having some problem trying to understand a particular piece of code. Just note, you are assumed to know how to write java. We're here to help you understand ways how to fix your code. We will not write it, but we will give you the tools necessary to succeed.

Yeah, i completely understand. Im happy to learn new things.

2 hours ago, Daeruin said:

You might try looking up TheGreyGhost's Minecraft by Example or Cadiboo's tutorials

Thanks for mentioning that, Cadiboo's tutorials are great.

Thanks for your help