how to make creepers charged on spawn

Crazy_sheep

hello I am very new to minecraft forge modding a day ago when this post was made I started modding

but I have a problem I making a mod that makes the game really hard and i want to make it so every creeper that spawns will become charged

but there is no command that can make then charged

so here is my code

package ultrahardcore.ultrahardcore.events;

import net.minecraftforge.api.distmarker.Dist;
import net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingSpawnEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod;
import ultrahardcore.ultrahardcore.UltraHardCore;

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = UltraHardCore.MOD_ID, bus = Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.FORGE, value = Dist.CLIENT)

public class Events {

@SubscribeEvent
    public void autoChargeCreeper(LivingSpawnEvent event)
    {
        // help me make the creepers charged
    }
}

37 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

You will copy the code, not understand it and end up here tomorrow with the next basic problem.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I disagree with that. Many times when learning something new, I'd find some example code, or code that achieves a similar effect to what i need, I'd read through it, attempt to understand and learn from it, then maybe tweak it if needed. I'm sure I'm not the only one! I understand that not everybody does that, but if they are serious about learning whatever it is, then they would.

That's just my opinion though. ;)

Edited by BlockyPenguin
  • Like 1

Today (22/10/20) I reached 100 posts!

I'm probably more excited than I should be for something so realistically minor...

@BlockyPenguin ok thats good to know that you dont learn of copying code or typing it manually i will note that in my brain to try to copy as less code as i can

@diesieben07 ok but what do i need to do here then 

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber()

do i need to do dist.client or dist.deticatedserver or dist.class or dist.new?

and i need to do a if statement to detect the creeper how do i do that?

and there is not setpowered or setcharged command on the CreeperEntity command

Edited by Crazy_sheep

So, you have this:

package ultrahardcore.ultrahardcore.events;

import net.minecraftforge.api.distmarker.Dist;
import net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingSpawnEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod;
import ultrahardcore.ultrahardcore.UltraHardCore;

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = UltraHardCore.MOD_ID, bus = Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.FORGE, value = Dist.CLIENT)

public class Events {

@SubscribeEvent
    public void autoChargeCreeper(LivingSpawnEvent event)
    {
        // help me make the creepers charged
    }
}

First, this is not necessary, but I would suggest changing your package declaration to be something like "crazy_sheep.ultrahardcore.events".

However, as I said, this is not necessary and is just a good code practice. There are various other ways to style your package, I suggest you look into them 😄

Second, "value = Dist.CLIENT" is only going to be bad news. You want your events firing on both the server and client, so leave it blank. this way, forge will assume that you want your events to run on both sides.

There are other ways to register an event handler, but I won't go over those here.

However, to @diesieben07 I have now been looking through CreeperEntity for a while, and haven't found how to set it's powered state... 

EDIT: I guess nbt is a viable route

Edited by BlockyPenguin

I'm probably more excited than I should be for something so realistically minor...

It would be something on the lines of

CompoundNBT nbt = creeper.serializeNBT();
//edit nbt here, example:
nbt.putBoolean("powered", true);
creeper.deserializeNBT(nbt);

I should imagine that would work, but I haven't tested it.

By the sounds of it, you don't know much about modding for forge. That's ok, we've all been there at the beginning! I suggest you read the documentation (mcforge.readthedocs.io), watch/read tutorials (Cadiboo has some great ones), and go from there. Good luck!

@BlockyPenguin ok i will try i will edit this post if something is wrong else i will edit the post saying that it is working

EDIT:nope it does not work the 

serializeNBT();

part does not work its not a command

and where did you get the creeper command?

should it not be CreeperEntity?

Edited by Crazy_sheep

1 hour ago, BlockyPenguin said:

It would be something on the lines of

CompoundNBT nbt = creeper.serializeNBT();
//edit nbt here, example:
nbt.putBoolean("powered", true);
creeper.deserializeNBT(nbt);

I should imagine that would work, but I haven't tested it.

By the sounds of it, you don't know much about modding for forge. That's ok, we've all been there at the beginning! I suggest you read the documentation (mcforge.readthedocs.io), watch/read tutorials (Cadiboo has some great ones), and go from there. Good luck!

Don't serialize/deserialize entities to change their field values. That's disgusting.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

3 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Don't serialize/deserialize entities to change their field values. That's disgusting.

Oh? How would you do it then?

@Crazy_sheep event.getEntity will give you the Entity, which I called creeper

Edited by BlockyPenguin

1 hour ago, BlockyPenguin said:

Oh? How would you do it then?

@Crazy_sheep event.getEntity will give you the Entity, which I called creeper

Let me pop my IDE open here and...

Well, the POWERED value and the dataManager are both private, so....

Reflection.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

33 minutes ago, Crazy_sheep said:

how do i make a reflection

ReflectionObfuscationHelper if I remember the class's name correctly.

You call getPrivateValue and pass in the SRG name of the field you want.

@Draco18s but what is the charged ntb called is it called powered

and if i make a Reflection do i need to do this ReflectionObfuscationHelper("powered", true)?

and when i try to do this

CreeperEntity creeper = (CreeperEntity) event.getEntity();
          if (event.getEntity() instanceof CreeperEntity) {
            creeper.ReflectionObfuscationHelper
        }

ReflectionObfuscationHelper is not a command

Edited by Crazy_sheep

18 minutes ago, Crazy_sheep said:

@loordgekif I learn java I then still don't know how to do stuff in forge

and its a lot more fun to learn java with forge

Trying to explore and understand forge/minecraft concepts and code without knowing java is pure madness...trying to learn java by doing stuff that, at the beginning, makes almost no sense even to experienced Java programmers is even more madness

Check out the port of the BetterEnd fabric mod (WIP): https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterend-forge-port