BlockRender issues - Block renders black....sometimes

Draco18s

public class RenderFakeBlock implements ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler {

public boolean renderWorldBlock(IBlockAccess world, int x, int y, int z, Block block, int modelId, RenderBlocks renderer) {

renderer.renderFaceXPos(block, (double)x, (double)y, (double)z, block.getBlockTexture(world, x, y, z, 4));
	renderer.renderFaceXNeg(block, (double)x, (double)y, (double)z, block.getBlockTexture(world, x, y, z, 4));
	renderer.renderFaceYPos(block, (double)x, (double)y, (double)z, block.getBlockTexture(world, x, y, z, 1));
	renderer.renderFaceYNeg(block, (double)x, (double)y, (double)z, block.getBlockTexture(world, x, y, z, 0));
	renderer.renderFaceZPos(block, (double)x, (double)y, (double)z, block.getBlockTexture(world, x, y, z, 3));
	renderer.renderFaceZNeg(block, (double)x, (double)y, (double)z, block.getBlockTexture(world, x, y, z, 2));
}
}

This is what happens in world.  Note that both setups are exactly the same.  My block is set to get a texture from a neighboring block (the only valid one being the pumpkin in the center).

width=800 height=449http://s22.postimg.org/q4hd2p3cx/2013_06_20_11_22_02.png[/img]

Even for the one showing up not-black, it will flicker a little when you look at them directly (get fully bright, as they should be, then when you look away, they drop about 2 lighting levels).

I suspect this is due to a missing function call on my part, but I can't figure out what call that is.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I had a similar issue. My semi-transparent block would flicker when you look around, falling and rising in light level.

My issue could be resolved by setting the light level. The difference between your case and mine is that I was directly adding vertices to the tessellator. However, looking through the renderFace methods, it seems it does not automatically retrieve the light values for each individual block for each call. You'll have to set the light values manually.

Have a look at lines 7032 - 7043 of the RenderBlocks class and you'll see what I mean.

Several calls to Block.get(Mixed)BrightnessForBlock are used in other parts of the code to set the respective brightness properties of the class. In my case I could simply randomize the light values since it was a more complex block. It had more than 6 sides, so I got kind of lost as to how to calculate the brightness for each individual side...

Have a look at lines 7032 - 7043 of the RenderBlocks class and you'll see what I mean.

*Pokes with*

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

*Pokes with*

I'm confused.  :|

I mean I'm poking with the stuff there.

I got that, but why? ... Oh, wait. I thought you meant you'd be poking me with that stuff there.

Ended up using renderStandardBlockWithColorMultiplier rather than renderStandardBlockWithAmbientOcclusion.

The AO was causing odd shadows that I didn't want, and while the lighting is imperfect with the other, it's better than weird shadows.

func_102027_b is slightly better, but only if I boost the lighting value by ~50%

(func_102027_b is "render non-standard block with AO" but MCPBot is not online for me to update that function name and description)