[1.16.3] How do I create a new Dimension?

AstroTurffx

So I want to create a new dimension Identical (almost) to the overworld without any ores (maybe some specific ores) how can I do this? The best tutorial i could find is for 1.15 but even that didn't work. Also is there a better forge documentation because the official documentation aren't that good.

It's called using JSON files now, so the lack of tutorials will persist until someone does something original and creates it. There is no need for a mod here if you plan on replacing one the vanilla dimensions.

2 hours ago, AstroTurffx said:

The best tutorial i could find is for 1.15 but even that didn't work.

If you use a tutorial word-by-word, that is how it will be. Always take tutorials with a grain of salt as they usually promote incorrect code, bad practices, or just don't help you learn anything in the process.

2 hours ago, AstroTurffx said:

Also is there a better forge documentation because the official documentation aren't that good.

What? The Forge documentation is the documentation of using the Forge library. Figuring out how to write a JSON file is just as simple as looking on the internet for the file breakdown or looking at the source for the codec information. There is no "official" documentation.

If you use a tutorial word-by-word, that is how it will be. Always take tutorials with a grain of salt as they usually promote incorrect code, bad practices, or just don't help you learn anything in the process.

Whatever you do try staying away from HarryTalks and TechnoVision especially

About your problem, you can try seeing other mod's sourcecode (credit them surely) or refer to vanilla dimensions, maybe you might find something

On 10/20/2020 at 5:06 AM, ChampionAsh5357 said:

I see you everywhere, alway back-talking the other with their bad codes, not best practice, blah blah.

But do you even help anything beside talking? I can't see you provide any value beside talking :)

On 10/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, MostafaSabry55 said:

Whatever you do try staying away from HarryTalks and TechnoVision especially

About your problem, you can try seeing other mod's sourcecode (credit them surely) or refer to vanilla dimensions, maybe you might find something

What's the problem with TechnoVision?

Can you detail? If no, don't talk like that!

48 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Alright, occasionally I get bored and I do one of these posts.

So. Question answered? That is the problem with TechnoVision, TurtyWurty, HarryTalks and all those "Modding tutorial" people on youtube (McJty specifically excluded!). They are unoriginal, unhelpful, promote bad coding practices and even outright broken code.

Nice, so that's it. This is too much but at least you show some proof (y)

And I think, people in this forum should declare at least 1 of other people mistake before back-talking.

Also, i'm very triggered by the way you just said "No no abc is not good" but not show the author of this topic the answer. The general i'm seeing in this forum is alway

"No no don't follow abc they're very bad, you should learn Java first and then learn Forge, search for relative topic,..." <= This sentence here not helpful at all, they're just only care about the answer. So If I have a link of a good tutorial, why not share them instead of talking like that?

That's my reason...

Edited by DontTalkIfDontHelp

6 hours ago, DontTalkIfDontHelp said:

I see you everywhere, alway back-talking the other with their bad codes, not best practice, blah blah.

But do you even help anything beside talking? I can't see you provide any value beside talking :)

Thanks for the compliment. Talking tends to help when I'm trying to convey my reasoning to another person.

And yes, I will criticize bad practices or bad design to help point out issues in what could be done better. I even criticize my own videos due to their outdated code and inefficient practices, so I stopped making them. I'm here to help people improve what they are currently doing and not let them keep making the same mistakes. There is a difference between criticizing and back-talking, they're my own opinions and although you don't have to listen to me, quite a number of people share it including those in the Forge team.

If you're looking for something that can walk you through without you applying any knowledge for yourself, then sure use the tutorials. However, you most likely will not learn the underlying concept trying to be explained and not be able to adapt your knowledge and think for yourself. I can use an example from TechnoVision's tutorial from his block state episode where they add the methods AbstractBlock#rotate and AbstractBlock#mirror. Anyone watching probably cannot tell me what either of those overrides do and why they should be added. Just adding those methods doesn't teach you anything if you don't know why you need to include them.

3 hours ago, DontTalkIfDontHelp said:

"No no don't follow abc they're very bad, you should learn Java first and then learn Forge, search for relative topic,..." <= This sentence here not helpful at all, they're just only care about the answer. So If I have a link of a good tutorial, why not share them instead of talking like that?

I want to direct people towards accurate and standardized practices that should be used within Java and the Forge library. If you came here looking for an answer and expecting to put in no work (e.g. copy-paste), then you should really take the time to evaluate what you came here to do. We're here to provide you the tools to succeed and not the final product. Giving them a place where they can discover the answer is more powerful than giving them the answer itself. I've said this many times: the job of a programmer is to be able to adapt to a situation with no prior knowledge of what they will be working with. Asking for help to understand a specific portion of how to use a specific method or field is fine and provides you with insight. However, simply just going "tell me" will not teach you anything.

So, to answer your statement, if they only care about the answer, then in my opinion they should choose something else to do. Otherwise, they will ask they same questions over and over again, copy-paste from others, and will fail in the long run.

18 minutes ago, DeafCommunity said:

Now I know why this forum and community dead AF. Even there is no prober Guide/Tutorial topic.

Glad to know we are helping others correctly then. You came to the wrong place looking for a guide/tutorial. Read the documentation, ask questions, and don't troll and a douche to those who actively try to help people.

Feel free to be as rude to me as you want though. I personally don't mind since all you guys want is an answer and you're annoyed we're trying to help you succeed rather than make it easy for ya.

Have a wonderful day!

Edited by ChampionAsh5357

People are allowed to have their own opinion. Some people thinks those tutorials are shit, some people does not, and they can surely decide what they want. I think what Ash was trying to say is some of the people can't do anything when there's no tutorial specific for their target. For example "render a sentence above all entities that have *condition checking* in my own capability", you may find some tutorial of this, but usually you can't because it's a combination of multiple things (in this case capability and rendering). Hence they asks: "how do I do this, do that", and when the other people provide answer like: "you need to store information on entities using capability, and check how vanilla render the named entities", they get confused because they are used to someone gets them step by step, even better - copypaste code. And eventually it brings more questions, questions that are asked without researching or trying.

If you want to make this forum better to reach your expectations, this forum is opened to everyone, and that includes you :).

Arguments are fine, but please don't insult people.

54 minutes ago, DeafCommunity said:

Okay bye bye woman losers!

Edited by poopoodice

• Guest locked this topic